Slow Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme

Reaction score
I brewed a Pliny the Elder clone last Wednesday, kind of a last minute idea. I did however have time to make a small starter the night before which really didnt take off. It was the first time I used my new 20 gal rig so I figured the effic would be down a little. I calculated around 70% as normally I attain around 80%. At the start of my mash runnings after re-circ for 20 min or so it read 080, by the end of the runnings it was reading 010. Had a good rolling boil for 90 min, cooled aerated and pitched the small starter into 4 carboys. There was nothing happening in the first 2 days, then alot of activity for 24 hrs, then slowed to where it is at now blowing off once every 10-15 seconds. The recipe indicates 072 as OG, mine was down at 068. Today I checked the gravity expecting a lower reading than 058. Should I be worried about this batch? Should I throw in anouther batch of yeast? Or is it a waiting game?

Thanks in advance for the replies

One week into secondary with first of three dry hop additions underway. The last hydro reading was 020. Not great by any means but considering the situation ok. Turns out I under pitched big time. It may not be the final result I was hoping for but still highly drinkable.

Back