Slow Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labradork

Reaction score
Folks,

I recently made a Quilters Irish Death clone and a strong Scotch Ale, both of which came out to close to 9% ABV. I primed them with the recommended amount of DME and tucked them away in a cabinet at about 68 degrees. After close to 5 weeks, they are both under-carbonated. The yeast I used is tolerant to 12% ABV, so I'm sure that's not the issue. Should I take some action, or just wait and hope?

Labradork

I had a similar problem with a porter I made. To ger mine to carb I moved them to a warmer room in my house. I also turned them upside down and gave them a gentle shake every day for a week. After 2 weeks in the warmer room (above 70) they carbed nicely. I am told the shaking helped to reactivate the yeast.

The higher ABV will normally lead to longer time in the bottle to reach full carbonation in my experience. Since you are close to 5 weeks with little carbonation, I would relate this to the temp your bottles are being held at. Do indeed bring them to a warmer space, 72 degrees or so, and in a couple more weeks you should see an improvement on the carb levels.

+1 on warmer temps and time. Beers that big really do take a long time to carb.

Folks,

Thank you very much. I've turned up the heat in the brewery and will give the bottles a gentle shake.

Labradork

Back