Slow/absent fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrh

Reaction score
This is only my second brew. I used the Northern Brewer peat-smoked porter and "proofed" the yeast. Im sure the yeast was active because it was quite foamy in 30 min after adding some sugar. The OG was 1060. I racked the wort to the primary with a racking cane to prevent a mess (it didnt seem to aerate that much when i did this) and then threw in the yeast. Its been two days and ive only seen one bubble when i bumped the fermenter, but there is a half inch of foam on top of the beer.
Is this normal for it not to be bubbling? My first brew (nut brown ale) was bubbling like crazy after only an hour. Should I have not used a racking cane or is the yeast inactive?

Oh thanks, didnt see the sticky my bad. I guess im just impatient. :eek:

First off, the airlock or whatever setup you have really doesn't say much about your fermentation, it's a tool that helps, but lack of activity doesn't necessarily mean anything. But, some thoughts, your lid could have a leak somewhere. After you "cooked" the wort, it needs to be aerated when moved into the primary, so low oxygen could prevent fermentation. But if you have foam on top, I would assume that is krausen. Leave it be for a few days, maybe 4 from pitch, and if you're still worried take a gravity reading to make sure it's dropping. If it is, leave it be for another 2 weeks or so. If not, may just need to re-pitch. Good luck

Latest posts

Back