Slightly moldy raspberries - please advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
I picked up a couple pounds of raspberries for a raspberry wheat I'm working on. I froze them, and when I pulled them out I noticed that some of them have some mold growing on them. I had planned to soak them in vodka for a few hours and then add the whole slurry.

Can I pick out the ones with mold? Should I toss the lot of them and buy more? I don't want to ruin the entire batch of beer just because I was too cheap to spend another 6 bucks on raspberries.

Let's take this from another perspective: Do you think it's a good idea to use moldy raspberries in your batch?

Can I pick out the ones with mold? Should I toss the lot of them and buy more? I don't want to ruin the entire batch of beer just because I was too cheap to spend another 6 bucks on raspberries.
I'd say you just answered your own question. Get some fresh, non-moldy raspberries. They''re about at the height of their season right now and they're cheap and delicious, so there's no reason not to

I feel stupid for not checking first. Argh. What if I just cooked them at 150F for 10-15 minutes?

As others have pointed out, you've already answered your own question:
I don't want to ruin the entire batch of beer just because I was too cheap to spend another 6 bucks on raspberries.
They're cheap, raw or frozen. Why risk one mold spore making it through your pastuerization process? You've got 2-6 hours and $+20 in grain/extract/hops put into this. Even if you kill 100% of the spores, what about off flavors from rotting fruit?

There are certain wines which use moldy grapes to increase the sweetness.

Heres a link to the wikipedia article on the fungus type.

But yeh buy new ones.

Back