Slightly green home brewer wanting to use Belgian yeast in a arrogant bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipC1

Reaction score
What I'm wondering is there anything in particular that I need to prepare for or what should I expect? I'm thinking fermentation will need the last two months because of the high alcohol content of the beer, but when should I bottle? Trying to work out the kinks any advice from a seasoned brewer is very much appreciated!

It will not take 2 months to ferment out. Depending on the Yeast choice it really won't take much longer than a regular strength beer. The key to high ABV fermentations are pitching a very healthy amount of yeast (definitely do a starter), oxygenate well, and pick a yeast which can handle the Alcohol.

I did a big triple which came in around 9.5. Femented with WY3787 an it actively fermented for about a week and a half. Bottled after 3 weeks. 2 months is just not necessary for fermentation. If you re bulk aging the beer, then time might help. But that is usually for porters, stouts and such which benefit from allowing the roasted flavors mellow.

Personally, I would definitely try using a Belgian yeast in a Arrogant Bastard clone. It will switch things up a bit and you dont need to worry about temperature regulation nearly as much. It will be a combination of yeast vs hop esters. I would pick a belgian yeast that would pair well with chinook's grapefruit/piney flavors. Im thinking anything spicier should do the job, but you really cant go too wrong

I also agree that you could be drinking it less than a month out from the brew day. It may come into its stride at 2 months, but no reason to wait that long to even bottle

Thanks for the reply guys! Ok so I'm thinking of using WY3787. I will run this batch like my others and bottle 2 weeks in. Try it every week after. I will keep you guys updated on the progress, brewing this weekend!

Ok I ended up picking up Safebrew Abby yeast and will do a starter. I also had to drop 5lb of my pale malt and added 3lb of DME, witch I'm kinda bummed about. I haven't ever used extract and was kinda proud. Looks like I need to build a larger mash ton.

Ok I ended up picking up Safebrew Abby yeast and will do a starter.
the suggestion to make a started is for liquid yeast. generally speaking, with dry yeast you're better off not making a starter. the dried yeast cells are at peak health, they are packed with nutrients. if you make a starter, they will use up their nutrient reserves to ferment the starter - you'll have more cell, but they won't be as healthy.

what OG are you aiming for, and how big a batch are you making?

I am brewing a 5gal batch. Looking for a OG of 1.084. My new grain bill has 10lb of pale malt, 3lb of DME, and 2lb of various speciality grains. I was informed at my brewer supply store that the dry I purchased has 50% more cells than the liquid. I will pitch it dry for this batch

cool. while a starter isn't needed, re-hydrating the yeast is a good idea... it's a nice gentle wake-up, vs. pitching it into harsh wort.

"Rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 minutes.
The gently stir for another 15 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel."

Thank you everyone for the advice! I tried a test bottle today and it was beyond amazing! I will be tweaking this recipe for my first entry to a brewing contest! Photos coming soon!

Back