sleep apnea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
lets just say i put away a bit of alcohol last night and throughout the night i heard a few times a gagging cough sound. i thought it was my wife at first and then i laid my suspicion on the cat. After falling asleep and waking to the same thing i realized it was myself that was gasping back awake. kinda scary to think of actually. My wife constantly wakes me because of snoring and i guess with the alcohol on top of things not to mention sleeping on my back the apneas set in. wondering if i should go get checked for sleep disorders or just wait and see if it happens again.

Beyond the loss of sleep, sleep apnea is a fairly serious health risk. It puts an incredible amount of stress on the heart and can lead to heart complications and disease. You should definitely have it checked out. Sleep apnea tends to occur in people that are fairly overweight. If that's your case, the best thing you can do is to lose the weight as soon as possible.

not even close to being overweight 6'2 180lbs i mean i wear 32-34 pants if that tells you anything. deviated septum does tend to run in my dads side of the family. we are prone to crazy allergies and constant nose blockage.

I was diagnosed last year with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. My wife always said that she's been kept up at night not just with the snoring, but with the times when I stop breathing entirely.

I went in to a sleep clinic to have two tests done... one to measure my breathing during normal sleep to diagnose the apnea, and the second to determine what level of CPAP is appropriate for me.

The CPAP is a machine that applies forced air pressure to your nose and mouth, opening up your upper airway. It doesn't cure the condition, and the first time you stop using it, you'll slip right back into apnea. But for as long as you use it, it'll open up the airway and allow deep sleep and take pressure off your autonomic system.

That's what they told me, anyway. After the second test, my doctor never called me back. Not once. So, I've never gotten the device, and I still have apnea. I suspect it's due to my negative reaction to the tests.

It was hellish. Utterly hellish. I have a problem with things being on my face, and I had a few panic attacks during both clinicals. I maintain that it was due to all the wires and crap they had on my face, chest, and head. I felt like I was being smothered. They adjusted the CPAP thingy, and I finally got some sleep. The technician said I did really well, but I wonder if my doctor thinks I won't use it regularly because of claustrophobia.

My brother in-law died last Tuesday (Chrismas Eve Eve) due to Sleep Apnea. He was only 42!

Please have it checked out.

Forrest

sorry for you loss. im going to go ahead and give myself the full workover. i turned 30 this year so its high time for a complete physical checkup and possible lifestyle change. I have been feeling the need to get in better shape lately. since starting the new clean eating diet 2 days ago i have felt much better overall. i do tend to drink about 4-5 nights out of the week which is probably not the best thing and i desperately need to quit smoking. This could be the year for change. New years resolution here i come.

go in for a sleep study. i found it fun to have all the 'trodes stuck to me and got a wonderful night of sleep after they got the pressure adjusted. CPAP has a high acceptance rate and is easy to use.

Definitely get checked out. Both my father and brother have sleep apnea. My dad has a small mask that alleviates his issues (and my stepmother actually gets to sleep at night).

I know this is an old post...
My wife is a tad overweight. When I came back from deployment I noticed that she stopped breathing while she slept (in between snores). She finally went in for a sleep study. They found that she stopped breathing about 20X an hour (obstructive sleep apnea?) and put her on a CPAP machine. After a couple of weeks of struggling, she got used to it and was sleeping much better. She recently had tear duct surgery and can't use it for several weeks. It's really amazing how much better her sleep had gotten. Because she isn't sleeping well, she's kind of crankyand has no energy. I'm fortunate to be working mids this week and can sleep while she's awake. I'd gotten used to the relative quiet. If you have sleep apnea, get a CPAP.

Back