Skill Level: Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to be pretty easy to do,having noticed it to be a regular occurance on here. So d:mug:on't be hard on yourself!

I have 3 stir bars because about 50% of the time mine end up in the fermenter. I get greedy and want all my yeastie's on the job!

Hey,I just had a thought. Since that stir bar is magnetic,why not just pin it to the bottom with a small magnet on the outside bottom of the flask? Quick fix.

Hey,I just had a thought. Since that stir bar is magnetic,why not just pin it to the bottom with a small magnet on the outside bottom of the flask? Quick fix.

That's exactly what you are supposed to do (comes with a second magnet). I just flaked and forgot.

Oh. I wasn't aware that they gave a 2nd one for that very purpose. Just thought it was a good idea not knowing that.

First batch with my new stir plate: poured the stir bar into my fermenter...

Eeejit!

We've all done it :)

I keep a stir bar retriever (fancy lab tool speak for magnet on a stick, they cost about 4 bucks at a lab supply) right next to the stir plate to remind me. I have to move the retriever to turn the stir plate off.

We've all done it :)

I keep a stir bar retriever (fancy lab tool speak for magnet on a stick, they cost about 4 bucks at a lab supply) right next to the stir plate to remind me. I have to move the retriever to turn the stir plate off.

Genius! Thanks for the tip.

Interesting point. It might be good to have a sticky about food safe glues. the hot glue I always used was craft glue.

My stir bar is in the fermenter right now. I needed to make another starter...had to make it bigger because my 1 stir bar was waiting for the primary to finish.

And I try to make a mental note each time... "grab the magnet...don't put stir bar into fermenter."

I was sitting on the floor with the fermenter, while my buddy was pouring in the starter... just as the flask was going empty i see our stir bar making a mad dash toward the fermenter! I reached out and caught it 1" from the fermenter! Luckily i was sober, otherwise I'd probably have knocked the beer over!

My stir bar is in the fermenter right now. I needed to make another starter...had to make it bigger because my 1 stir bar was waiting for the primary to finish.

And I try to make a mental note each time... "grab the magnet...don't put stir bar into fermenter."

You could use a strong magnet on the outside of the fermenter, "drag" it out.

Once it is in, I never considered fishing it out. I like the magnet on the flask idea to keep it in the flask. Never thought of that, which is why I have 3 stir bars.

Back