Skeeter pee question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthrie

Reaction score
I am currently making a batch of skeeter pee but I only put enough sugar to get it to 1.040 because I wanted it much lighter.

Should I let it drop 20 points until adding the rest of the energizer/nutrient like the recipe suggests or should I do it before.

you might not need as much nutrient if your only going for low gravity, I would just add it with yeast and let it rip but thats just me.

Starting with the lower gravity I do not think you will need the second dose.

I've already added the first set of nutrient and energizer and it's fermenting nicely now, do you suppose I could rack it out of the bucket in a day or two without any more additions?

honestly I would not even mess with it unless it started dropping a ton of lees or until it stops bubbling

OH!!!! I didn't realize you started out in a bucket, my bad. When I am making a whole fruit wine or cider I use a bucket but when I make a juice based must I start in the carboy so I assumed you did the same. Yes transfer it to a carboy after 5 days.

OH!!!! I didn't realize you started out in a bucket, my bad. When I am making a whole fruit wine or cider I use a bucket but when I make a juice based must I start in the carboy so I assumed you did the same. Yes transfer it to a carboy after 5 days.

What benefit does using a carboy over bucket have with SP? Thanks

It has nothing to do with it being SP. I put all juice based wines and ciders directly in a carboy so there is less surface area exposed to oxygen and thus less oxidation. That is why you move all whole fruit wines from primary after 5-10 days so there is less air exposure.

Back