Skeeter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Descender

Reaction score
Just got a bunch of "real lemon" juice. Its full of preservitives. Is it safe to throw onto a kick a$$ yeast cake?

rhino farts and rocket fuel!

Yes it is. But the trick is to mix you lemon, sugar, nutrients, tannin & water all first without the yeast cake and mix it super well. Let it sit 24 hours with just cloth over it and then pitch the yeast cake. Also only use half the lemon up front and pitch the rest 3-4 days later.

I have boiled my sugar and a little lemon juice + nutrient in some water to invert it. Dumped a gallon of water on the yeast cake to wake it up. When I get home from work, gonna dump the sugar water in and fill with water to the 4 gallon mark in my brew bucket that is on its third (now) batch, previously apfelwine. Will add lemon juice in steps as it starts working. Sound ok? Also going to add a couple limes and some limeade concentrate later. Using two 32 ounce bottles of real lemon.

rhino farts and rocket fuel!

That should be fine. As long as fermentation is rolling hard then dumping in 1 whole 32 oz container of real lemon will not stall it. Just wait 24 hours before pitching the second. Should be just fine.

I actually have two gallons of the stuff going now. Except I used honey rather than invert sugar. Honey is more acidic and so I have a worse chance of a stalled ferment but I mixed half my lemon with the initial water and honey and have it the 24 hour rest. Then I pitched my slurry of lalvin 71b. It started up just fine and I recently just added the last of my lemon and nutrients. All still fermenting vigorously.!

Back