Size of starter for cool brewed wlp029?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvery37

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a blond ale and using WLP029. I would like to brew this at the lower limits of the yeast. I am going to try 58-60 degrees. I know that in order to be successful I need to make a large starter. How big of a starter should I use? Double what I normally would use?

My plan is to ferment it at 58-60 for three days and then take it out of the fermentation chamber and let it warm up to room temp for about a month. After this I am going to cold crash for a month. I am also going to inject pure oxygen into the wort.

Any other tips or suggestions for making this work?

I would make the usual size. The yeast will finish just fine once you warm it up. I don't know that I'd let it go for a month at room temp though. Maybe a week or two tops, then lager it.

+1 I raise temp gradually over 3 days, then cold crash and lager. I would make 1000 ml starter. To really double the pitching rate of a vial you need to make a 2000 ml starter. A 1000 ml starter will roughly produce 1.6x more yeast, that amount will be sufficient for a average gravity lager

Back