Size of secondary with fruit puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpheasey

Reaction score
I'm making an apricot wheat and it's time to rack to a secondary. However, I have no available carboys, so I need to buy another one. The primary fermentation was in a 6 gallon glass carboy and it required a blow off tube because there was a huge cap on it.

My question is what size secondary should I be using since I'll be 4.5 gallons on 3lbs of apricot puree? I originally though a 5 gallon carboy would work, but if it begins fermenting again a 6 gallon would be needed.

If its not that much more expensive why not just get the 6 Gallon so you can also use it as another primary?

I'd go with the 6. Oxygen in the headspace will not be an issue since you are adding additional fermentables to the brew and more CO2 will be produced.

I brew 5 gallon batches. So I'd prefer to have an additional 5 gallon carboy for dry hopping. Would it affect the beer if I waited a few more days for my IPA to finish primary and move that to a new 5 gallon carboy for dry hopping and just put the wheat beer in there?

Essentially, is it ok to wait a few more days before racking to secondary. If not, can I just add more yeast?

My LHBS is out of both size carboys anyways.... Just gotta wait 5 days for my IIPA to finish dry hopping so I can move the IPA to the 5 gallon and then the wheat to the 6 gallon.

I brew 5 gallon batches. So I'd prefer to have an additional 5 gallon carboy for dry hopping. Would it affect the beer if I waited a few more days for my IPA to finish primary and move that to a new 5 gallon carboy for dry hopping and just put the wheat beer in there?

Essentially, is it ok to wait a few more days before racking to secondary. If not, can I just add more yeast?

A few days or weeks is really not an issue. I just had a flat tire clone which stayed in for 4 weeks as I was close to kegging and didn't want to bottle it. Best beer I have brewed yet.

The fruit will not ferment vigorously, just make sure you have enough for the volume of beer plus the volume of puree.

I racked onto the puree about 36 hours ago and there is only a 1/2" of krausen. I'm just going to stick to brewing two beers at a time, since I only have two taps and don't want to piss off the SO with even more brewing equipment in the apartment.

Back