Double IPA Six Shades of Darkness (Imperial Black IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decimotox

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US-05 (dry) or Wyeast 1056 American Ale (liquid)
Yeast Starter
Yes, with liquid (of course)
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Two 11.5g packs of Safale US-05, if using dry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14-21 days @ 65-75 degrees F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 65-75 degrees F
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Mild roastiness and major hops.
Hey all - got an extract recipe for you here. Seems most are AG around here, lol.

I call it Six Shades of Darkness due to the six different kinds of hops. Couldn't think of a better name, really. Hope you enjoy if you decide to brew! If you do, let us all know what you added/subtracted/altered. Always open to suggestions!

Grains/Malts:
7.25 lbs. Gold/Amber LME (whatever brand calls it. I used Maillard Malts Gold)
4 lbs. Gold/Amber LME (late addition at 15 mins left in boil)
1 lb. Midnight Wheat (steeped)
10 oz. Caramunich III (steeped)
1 lb. Belgian Candi Sugar (clear, late addition at 5 mins left in boil)

Hop schedule:
1 oz. Magnum (60 mins)
1 oz. Chinook (30 mins)
.5 oz. Centennial (20 mins)
1 oz. Amarillo (20 mins)
.5 oz. Magnum (5 mins)
.5 oz. Centennial (5 mins)
.5 oz. Magnum (flame out)
1 oz. Chinook (flame out)
.5 oz. Centennial (flame out)
1 oz. Amarillo (flame out)
1.5 oz. Centennial (dry hop - 7 days)
2 oz. Simcoe (dry hop - 7 days)
1 oz. Citra (dry hop - 7 days)

12 oz. hops total. Should come out to an OG of about 1.095. I got 1.100 my first batch. Should finish in the low 1.02s for an approx. ABV of 9.5%.

I used two 11.5g packs of Safale US-05, non-rehydrated.

Nice. You never see Magnum being used as a flavor or aroma addition, were you able to pick out what it was adding? Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo and Citra - a great combination!

Nice. You never see Magnum being used as a flavor or aroma addition, were you able to pick out what it was adding? Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo and Citra - a great combination!

Thanks! I think the Magnum just upped the citrus-y flavor a bit, but the Amarillo and Centennial really shine through, haha. Had to have the Citra in there too, for obvious reasons. I haven't used Magnum for anything but bittering (much like the rest of the world) so I wanted to try it elsewhere in a recipe and see what I got.

:mug:

1.023 is going to be pretty sweet. See if you can get it much lower than that for an IPA, even a CDA.

1.023 is going to be pretty sweet. See if you can get it much lower than that for an IPA, even a CDA.

I thought that at first, too, though it does come in at 86 IBU. I ran it through some calculators when I first made the recipe and compared it to the BJCP guide and it was well within the range of BG:GU - close to the middle of the range.

I think my most recent batch finished at 1.024, but it's in secondary at the moment. It's been in there about a week so far, but I'm going to go 3 weeks with this one.

I've actually started to use a secondary yeast with these about 5 days after primary fermentation has started. The Belle Saison yeast is an absolute monster and adding it late eliminates that saison flavor but brings the beer down really low.

I've actually started to use a secondary yeast with these about 5 days after primary fermentation has started. The Belle Saison yeast is an absolute monster and adding it late eliminates that saison flavor but brings the beer down really low.

Interesting. Haven't heard about doing that before...never really thought to.

Back