Six-pack batch IIPA!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
I recently signed up for a 6-pack competition (you brew a 6 pack/1 gallon of something unique), and I would like to do an oaked IIPA using some of my leftover hops from last year. However, I was wondering if using so many oz's of hops in such a small batch will result in a grassy tasting beer? Anyone have any experience brewing heavily hopped, small batches? Also, what type of oak chips would go well with something like this - Or am I setting myself up for failure?

Thanks!

1.0 Gallons
O.G: 1.082
SRM: 11.0
IBU: 105.0+

87% Pale Malt, Marris Otter
6% Crystal Malt 40L
4% Cara-Pils
3% Biscuit Malt

1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 79.0 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.00 %] (0 min - Flame out)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (First Wort Hop)

That's not a crazy amount of hops for a double IPA. If that was a 5 gallon batch it would be 15oz of hops. Which is alot, but i don't think it will be grassy. I just used 24oz in my last 6 gallon batch of IIPA that I'm drinking now and its delicious and not grassy at all. I think the OP will be fine with that amount of hops. I would suggest perhaps moving the first wort hop to a dry hop instead for some killer aroma.

Make sure you shoot for 1.5 -1.75 gallon batch though, cause you're going to lose a lot of volume to hop absorption.

Back