Sitting on cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coreygrado

Reaction score
I have an ipa that has been in primary a week. I'm in the navy and I'm leaving tomorrow until Friday. It should be ok yea? I don't have time to put it in the keg tonight. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's what I thought. Just needed some reinforcement. Thanks !!

First, thanks for your service. I bet your beer will be fine. I have left my last 15 plus all grain batches in primary for at least three weeks with good results. I can't say about any dry hops. Good Luck

Thanks seemont. Yea I'm not dry hopping it until the weekend.

Sitting on cake? Damn Sailor, aren't you freaky? Just kidding of course. My daughter is in Navy ROTC, and I could not be more proud of her. My father was Gunner on a Sub chaser in the Pacific, during WWII, and you have my utmost respect for what you do. Yeah, um, right, beer, that's it! I routinely leave my beers in the primary, sometimes 5 or 6 weeks, depending on what else is going on at that time, and if my fermenter is in a compatible mode temperature wise. I start (pitch) all my beers@ 62* F, see what they do for a week or so gravity wise, and either leave them there for another week, or every other day raise the temp 1* F I solely use ESB 1968 London Ale yeast for everything I brew. If I want some of the classic esters a particular ale is known for, then I raise the temperature to generate some of those esters early on, then reduce the temperature gradually back down for the rest of the fermentation. Note: if the temperature falls too fast, the yeast get lazy, and sometimes fall out of suspension so the fermenter getting an occasional swirl to break up the yeast cake. Of course with the lid sealed and air locked the bucket will have a nice layer of CO2 above the wort to prevent oxidation.
I would not dry hop this early in the game as some of the aroma compounds will leave with the CO2 bubbles of any active ferment. Patience is the most effective tool to lead to the path of BeerNerva like beers. I wish you luck and safety, every minute of every day

I haven't ever had a problem leaving beer in the primary when I go to the field for a couple weeks.

Good to see a fellow Sailor on here.

Couple days, couple weeks, couple months on the yeast cake are all fine. Nothing to worry about except you get better tasting beer by leaving it on the cake longer.

Since it's only been in primary 1 week anyway,it'll need the extra time to finish up & settle out. My dad was a seabee in the Philippians & also was on the guns while at sea. He used to tell me stories about shooting down Zeros with 20,30 & 40mm cannons. Much respect!:mug:

My ipa's are cleaner with a week or two on the cake after fermentation seems done. It's a good time for dry hops.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Back