Siphonless kegging with my Foodsaver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
I hate siphoning and lately I've been boiling everything that touches my wort (had a bad infection problem. Seems like the solution was moving to a new house.... not cheap)

Previously I would get negative pressure in the keg as a side effect of pumping boiling water through it then letting it cool. But that doesn't always work.

So I hooked up my foodsaver to the gas "In" port and turned it into a gas "Out" port to pull the beer on down.

I unhook it after the flow is going well and just open the vent

Uses the canning attachment for the foodsaver

Ok, so technically I do let it siphon after it gets started with the foodsaver... but I could just let the foodsaver do all the work :)

He has a liquid quick disconnect on the end of the siphon attached directly to the keg post so it enters through the long dip tube.

Seems like a nifty way to transfer. My racking cane is similar to yours, but my method is different. I hook my racking cane up to a keg full of sanitizer and run sanitizer through the line/cane into a bucket. Then I remove the quick disconnect with the cane and tubing full of sanitizer. After purging my keg with CO2 through the liquid in post, and placing my siphon in carboy, I take a spare, sanitized liquid-in post, pop it into the disconnect, and siphon out the sanitizer into a cup until the line is full of beer. Remove the spare liquid-in post, and pop the racking cane disconnect on the keg and beer transfers into the keg without any introduction of air.

I have a Foodsaver, so I might use your method for starting a siphon if I break it before finishing the transfer. Thanks for sharing. :mug:

IMG_2899.JPG

Hey Wardens, filling it with sanitizer would work too, but I've always had trouble emptying the tube as I don't have any liquid posts that will keep the poppet in them in such a way that I can empty a liquid disconnect

Latest posts

Back