Siphoning trub for clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
I was just wondering... last time I casked it was quite easy towards the end to siphon some trub by accident. Would it be possible to siphon some of the trub away from the primary, either regularly or a few days before bottling / casking in order to clear out the beer and make bottling easier? Just stick the siphon all the way to the bottom and suck the muck out. Would be a bit like racking, but instead of moving the beer to a secondary you're moving the trub to the bin.

This has occurred to me also, though I have never tried it.
So I am interested in other folks thoughts on this.
I usually don't worry about it too much but if for some reason I do I will rack to a secondary before bottling, it makes it a lot easier to move the finished beer while avoiding the transfer of trub.

If you let your beer have time in the fermenter that layer of yeast will compact pretty well and won't be much of a problem when you rack to the bottling bucket. If you do rack some yeast it should settle out in the bottling bucket pretty fast so it won't end up in the bottles.

I didn't have a bottling bucket but I guess I can just use my two gallon cask as one.

Back