Siphoning sucks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was never a fan of autosiphons. I called them "auto-aerators," as they would invariably draw air bubbles into the line.

I bought one of these for carboys. Blow into the inlet, the filter keeps out germs.

7389.jpg

Now I have Brew Buckets, so no more siphoning. But If you're using carboys, the "Sterile Siphon Starter" may do the trick.

I just couldn't get that thing to work. Luckily I discovered that fact during a dry run with water (reverse pun?). Not much headspace, as good of a seal as I could ever get. Turned myself blue. Nada.

Best tips I implemented with my auto siphon:
1. to take it apart before storage
2. Prior to use, dump around 1 oz of sanitizer into the upper part just before siphoning

The sanitizer helps enhance the seal similarly to how keg lube works... I haven't had any air leaks since I started doing this...

Also something I discovered is it helps to have a plastic clamp on the hose to slow down the flow when nearing the last half gallon or so. That way very little trub gets picked up.

My autosiphon is one of my best pieces of equipment. I get no more air introduction than you would with that blow in contraption. Just the air that is already in the tubing and cane. The same. One pump starts the siphon at least 90% of the time. I would not switch to any other siphon method, but may at some point switch to pressure transfers.

I just couldn't get that thing to work. Luckily I discovered that fact during a dry run with water (reverse pun?). Not much headspace, as good of a seal as I could ever get. Turned myself blue. Nada.

Do you keg? If so you can easily borrow your CO2 tank for a couple minutes and hook it up to that thing and use CO2 to push it over.

I have 2 ports at the top of my fermenter. What I've been trying lately is during fermentation I will plug one of them and leave a racking cane all ready to go in the other...the tubing connected to it has it's open end in a bottle of starsan + water to vent the excess CO2. When I'm ready to rack to the keg, I purge the keg of all O2, leaving a small volume of CO2 in it. Then I hook up the out side on my transfer pump to the beer-out on the keg coupler (with the check valve removed) and hook the in side of the pump to the racking cane. Then I use the second port on top of the fermenter by hooking it up to my CO2. Now I just need to turn the pump on, away it goes and if it starts to stall out due the pressure in the keg exceeding what the pump can push I just turn up the CO2 a bit (we're talking 1-2 PSI, very minimal) and/or slightly vent the keg because as it fills there is less room for the gas so you can just pull the check valve a little and free up some headspace. Seems to work pretty well for me but I'm still tinkering with it.

Latest posts

Back