siphon issue....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
I've done about 10 all grain batches so far and sometimes, I've got issues with starting a siphon from my mash tun. Sometimes, the liquid fills the whole silicone hose as soon as I open the valve and sometimes, I only get a trickle. My last brew was a big failure, and to make things worse, it was my first time with a pump.

So tonight, I spent an hour testing my rig with just plain water so that I can rule out a stuck mash. Even without the pump, I still get a very small flow from the hose when trying to start a siphon. After about 30 seconds, I can start the pump just fine but this thing is annoying as hell. My braid is not picking air and I used about 3 gallons of water for the test, which is more than enough to submerge the whole thing in the mash tun.

Any ideas ?

I've done about 10 all grain batches so far and sometimes, I've got issues with starting a siphon from my mash tun. Sometimes, the liquid fills the whole silicone hose as soon as I open the valve and sometimes, I only get a trickle. My last brew was a big failure, and to make things worse, it was my first time with a pump.

So tonight, I spent an hour testing my rig with just plain water so that I can rule out a stuck mash. Even without the pump, I still get a very small flow from the hose when trying to start a siphon. After about 30 seconds, I can start the pump just fine but this thing is annoying as hell. My braid is not picking air and I used about 3 gallons of water for the test, which is more than enough to submerge the whole thing in the mash tun.

Any ideas ?

I'm trying to picture your system in my mind, and I'm failing so if you could spell it out (or a give a photo), that sure would help.

You open the ball valve, and only get a trickle? There is hose on the ball valve, leading to a pump? And the valves are all open? And the end of the hose is on the ground (or in a bucket or something on the ground)?

I use a copper manifold, sitting at the bottom with the slits and holes facing downwards. The whole thing is connected to my bulkhead with rigid copper. Tonight, I tried emptying the mash tun by gravity and also with the pump. In the end, I can siphon correctly the whole thing but I'm still having issues with the beginning of the siphon and most of the time, I only get a trickle

I use a copper manifold, sitting at the bottom with the slits and holes facing downwards. The whole thing is connected to my bulkhead with rigid copper. Tonight, I tried emptying the mash tun by gravity and also with the pump. In the end, I can siphon correctly the whole thing but I'm still having issues with the beginning of the siphon and most of the time, I only get a trickle

Ok, because I"m slow, please explain.

The pump is horizontal, but which is the "in"?

Left is the in, the red valve to the right of the pump is used for priming the pump. When i open it, i get a very small flow of water. If i disconnect the camlock from the pump and try to do it by gravity, same thing happens when i fully open the mash tun valve

You have to get the pump inlet hose completely full of liquid before you hook it up to the pump inlet. With the hose connected to the mash tun, hold the other end up higher than the top of the tun, open the valve and slowly drop the hose lower until the level of liquid is almost about to spill out. Close the MLT valve, hook up to the pump.

While 3 gallons submerged the dip tube, it doesn't create enough head pressure to actually push a large amount of water through the dip tube. Run a test again, but actually put 10 gallons in the tun to start. See if that fixed your issue before looking elsewhere.

Bobby, I'll try your trick. Roundkid, 10 gallons is way too much, as I only brew 5 gallons so 3 gallons is pretty much what I use for the mash

If you disconnect the hose from the tun, does it drain freely?
Trying to understand if it's a draining issue, or a siphon issue.

Bobby, I'll try your trick. Roundkid, 10 gallons is way too much, as I only brew 5 gallons so 3 gallons is pretty much what I use for the mash

I would also change the orientation of the pump head. You want to "flood" the "in" and have it lower than the out when you have priming issues. I hope that makes sense!

If you turn the pump with the "in" on the bottom, it will fill the pump properly.

Acid rain, when i remove the hose, i get a full flow when i open the valve. Bobby, when doing your trick, i get a good flow but i have to fully open the mash tun valve in order to flood the hose. As soon as i start the pump however, i can throttle back the pump. Is it possible to compact the grain too much with a pump ?

Acid rain, when i remove the hose, i get a full flow when i open the valve. Bobby, when doing your trick, i get a good flow but i have to fully open the mash tun valve in order to flood the hose. As soon as i start the pump however, i can throttle back the pump. Is it possible to compact the grain too much with a pump ?

You always want to have the MLT fully open, and never impede flow to the pump. You throttle it back after the pump (never before).

You don't have to run it wide open, so you shouldn't compact the grainbed.

Back