Siphon from brew kettle to primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing my first partial mash today. I've only done extract in the past. I was wondering about the hops pellets I'm adding. Do they NEED to go into the fermenter? Should I siphon the wort from my kettle to the primary, which would kind of filter it?

They dont need to go into the fermenter. Ideally you would try to separate that hop material and other associated trub on its way to the fermenter. No big deal if a bunch makes it through. Dry hopping would be adding new hops too the fementer for an extra hop boost.

Before you siphon stir the pot into a big swirl, making a whirlpool. All the hops and break will pile up in the middle of the pot. Let it settle 5-10 minutes and then siphon from the outside edge of the pot. You end up with this,

whirlpool.jpg

I don't always do a whirlpool but it does seem to lessen hop astringency.

I use a big strainer. I just take the kettle and dump everything through a sanitized strainer into a plastic bucket. If it is a really hoppy beer, then I may need some help from my wife to scrape away hops as I pour the wort.

I am considering switching to the whirlpool and siphon method, though. I have heard that you don't want all the break material making it into the fermenter. And while the strainer gets rid of the hops, it doesn't do anything for the break stuff. I'm not too quick to change, though, since I don't think I've had any really negative effects from my method.

It's not a big deal either way. I end up with *all* my hop/break material in the fermenter, and I get nice, clean, healthy ferments with no off flavors from the trub. And that's without doing secondaries.

Back