Sinistral Warrior IPA w/dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBCards

Reaction score
I'm about to brew this kit offered from Northern Brewer but wanted to add dry hopping. I called NB and they suggested I dry hop with another 1 or 2 oz. of Warrior.

What would you do 1 or 2 oz.? Or should I dry hop in the secondary with 1 oz. And keg it with another oz in one of those steel tea balls?

Thanks for the help!

12 lbs. Rahr Pale Ale Malt
1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40
4 oz. Briess Carmel 80

1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (15 min)
1 oz. Cascade (15 min)
2 oz. Warrior (0 min)

You can go several ways with this. Here is what I would do.

2 oz in the primary after the bulk of fermentation is done. leave it with the dry hops at fermentation temp fo 7-10 days then rack to the keg, carb, drink and enjoy.

Drink this fresh or you will loose the fresh hop flavors

I would do 2 oz dry hopped in the secondary. Leave it there for about a week, then filter them out when you keg.

I did an IPA a little while back and dry hoppped 3 oz. Came out great! Go big or go home!

It could go either way. I've keg hopped more than dry hopped. If you go that route, drink it quickly. After about 3 weeks in the keg, the hops start to impart a strange stale flavor. It's still not bad, but it's better right away.

If you dryhop without keg hopping, that hoppy goodness will dissipate quickly anyway. So....it's up to you! After all, it's your beer. :rockin:

Either way, do at least two ounces. You don't want to end up wishing there was more hop flavor/aroma. I've NEVER felt like I'd overdone the hops in an IPA.

So I'm about to brew this kit myself and figured I'd resurrect this thread to see if there's any more opinions on the best dry hop for it. I'm thinking 2 oz centennial and 1 oz warrior both into the secondary for ten days before kegging.

I am in the middle of drinking this batch right now. Brewed it a month ago. It is quite good.

2 changes I made to it.

1. I put the last round or warrior hops into the boil with 5 min left instead of at Zero min. Bumped the bitterness up a bit.

2. I dru hopped 1oz of Cascade in the 2ndary conditioner 7 days before I was going to keg it.

It tastes great. It is not an IPA for the mild. I find it on the high end of the IBU but if you like bitter hoppy IPA's like I do then you will be happy.

Back