Single yeast packet into high OG wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdee1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On the weekend I brewed a 10gal stout. Beersmith predicted an OG of 1.062.

I split the cooled wort into 2 fermentors, aerated, and pitched Nottingham in one and Windsor in the other, both rehydrated.

I probably did it in the wrong order, but after pitching I got around to dropping the hydrometer into the test sample I pulled to get my OG. It ended up being about 1.073… I was like, WTF? This is my 9th batch and none of them have been more than a tick or two off the predicted OG. I can partly explain the discrepancy by having a strangely large boil off compared to what I normally see, which made my post-boil volume about .5 gal short of the plan.

Now, with the unexpectedly high OG, I’m concerned that I should have used (2) packets of yeast per bucket but I only used (1). Assuming I used the tool correctly, Mr. Malty calls for 1.2 packets of dry yeast per 5gal at 1.073.

I should also mention that the mash was 155F for an hour, and part of that 1.073 comes from unfermentable lactose (.75lbs into 10 gal, so not very much).

Does anybody have any experience—up or down—with a single dry packet of either of these yeasts at this range of OG? I’m expecting the Notty to attenuate more than the Windsor.

I really didn’t want to post yet another panic fermentation question on this forum, and I know I have to wait it out for a few weeks to see what happens, but I’d like to have a plan in place on what I do if the fermentation stalls so I can react quickly and free up my buckets for my next scheduled brew.

Well if it were me i would probably just pitch another packet of yeast just to be on the safe side, but i bet if you didnt the beer would still be drinkable. What is your fermentation temp set at?

At this point I would let it ride it's 4-5 days in. I brew a stout myself that is about that big too and only use 1 pack of Nottingham and tastes great. You also have to remember that you have the lactose in there that is pushing the gravity up, if you left it out you would be in the 1.065 range which is fine for that yeast.

Well if it were me i would probably just pitch another packet of yeast just to be on the safe side, but i bet if you didnt the beer would still be drinkable. What is your fermentation temp set at?

That's exactly what I planned to do, but due to LHBS operating hours and my work schedule, the soonest I would have been able to get additional yeast was over 72 hours into fermentation. At that point, would an additional packet matter? I didn't think it would.

The temperature was set at 65F for the first 3 days, now I've got it a bit higher at 68F.

I did see some nice airlock activity in both buckets; first the Windsor, then the Notty.

At this point I would let it ride it's 4-5 days in. I brew a stout myself that is about that big too and only use 1 pack of Nottingham and tastes great. You also have to remember that you have the lactose in there that is pushing the gravity up, if you left it out you would be in the 1.065 range which is fine for that yeast.

Yeah, that's why I was sure to mention the lactose. I know yeast have only so much "alcohol tolerance," meaning that higher-OG worts at face value would be more likely to turn into beer that exceeds that tolerance... but is it that simple? In other words, is OG necessarily a good indicator of whether the yeast will finish the job, or is it the resulting ABV? If OG in and of itself does not matter then the presence of unfermentables (like lactose) would seem to muddy the waters.

This far in just see where it finishes. If it is at the gravity you are looking for, the roastiness and full flavor the stout should help cover any off flavors by the possible stressed yeast. If it finishes high maybe some amylase enzyme. Don't know enough about that route though.
Or try more yeast to help it finish.

Update…

Almost 2 full weeks in, the Nottingham bucket has attenuated down to 1.020, which seems about right for the recipe and makes the ABV very consistent with Beersmith.

As expected, the Windsor yeast ran out of steam before the Notty, and stopped at 1.032 (from OG of 1.073). I increased the temperature on the controller to 70F and tried to rouse the yeast. This re-started airlock activity, but paid absolutely no dividends in measured attenuation after several days.

So at this point, it’s pretty safe to say that this yeast has gone as far is it can.

The funny thing is, I tasted the 1.032 hydro sample and it tasted pretty good. In fact, I drank the whole thing! It’s a sweet stout so I guess the sweetness doesn’t seem out of place to my palate.

If I bottle this beer at 1.032, am I setting myself up for exploding bottles? My gut is telling me that if the yeast is done, it’s done and they won’t suddenly spring to life and blow up bottles. But I tell ya, after googling the topic, I see lots of people saying “ah man, your bottles are going to explode FOR SURE!”

The two options I’m considering:

- Bottling at 1.032, hoping for the best (preferred method if it does not pose excessive risk)
- Making up a “re-starter” of Windsor yeast and DME, pitching at high krausen

What would you guys do?

PS – I checked my hydrometer in room temp water and it reads 1.000 on the nose, so I’m sure it’s working fine.

Back