Single Vessel eBIAB in 11 Gallon Bayou Classic with BoilCoil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingchr1

Reaction score
Wanted to share the build I just completed. It's a 11 gallon (44 quart) Bayou Classic with BoilCoil. I'm using a 13" Brewhardware (@Bobby_M) false bottom. It's a tight fit to get it past the top rib on the kettle, but it does fit. To clear the BoilCoil I used 120mm long bolts along with mounting them using nuts and washers. This places the false bottom at ~ the 3 gallon mark. I also mounted it upside down so I can utilize the center nut to lift it in/out. I'll need to remove it for the immersion chiller. If I didn't already have the BoilCoil I would have gone with a TC element.

For control I'm using a Brew Boss that I rebuilt into a panel. The thread on that is here: Brew Boss Rebuild. The temperature probe is under the false bottom, above the element.

I also utilized a Spincycle submerged whirlpool from Brewhardware. I'll connect to this port following mash recirc. This is also under the false bottom. Everything being below the false bottom allows me to easily lift it in/out.

I have a weldless TC port in the lid. This is for mash recirc, then steam condensing during the boil. The steam condenser is covered in the Boil Kettle Condenser thread in this post: Condenser Post. Thanks @BrunDog for coming up with the idea.

I haven't brewed a batch yet, but the wet run went very well.

Here's the recirc. The temperature probe in the tee is for indication only, no control. It's parts that I already had. During my test run it read ~1 degree lower than the control probe in the kettle.
Ricirc Attachement Front.jpg
Recircing.jpg
Recirc Arm.jpg

Here's inside the kettle. The pickup is a street that I cut the threads off of.
Inside Kettle No FB.jpg
Inside Kettle.jpg
FB with Lift.jpg

The bag is from Wilser (@wilserbrewer).
Kettle Bag.jpg

Condenser Setup
Setup with Condenser.jpg

Control Panel
Control Panel.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the Brew Boss step file. It's been through a test run, not an actual batch yet. The test run went well.

Attachments

• BIAB Default (1-13-18).pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 115
Very nice! Do you know what your max grain capacity is with the 11 gallon bayou?

Great build! I love the look of your condenser setup there. I would love to see more detail or see it in action.

Very nice! Do you know what your max grain capacity is with the 11 gallon bayou?
Thank you.

That's not something I've tried to determine as I don't brew anything high gravity.

I'll post up the volumes when I brew a batch. I am curious myself with the height of the false bottom being at the 3 gallon mark.

Great build! I love the look of your condenser setup there. I would love to see more detail or see it in action.
Thank you.

The condenser is 1.5" and the same as the ones detailed over in the condenser thread (1.5" Condenser Parts List with Links) with the differences of needing the 90, 1.5" hose barbs, stainless flex (20" Vibrant Performance Interlock Hose), an additional weldless flange (if using a collection pot, replaces any bottom connections) and two additional TC clamps with gaskets. The spray nozzle I'm using is 6 gpm, some are using the 9 gpm.

Attached is the parts spreadsheet I used for the build (it's not completely comprehensive, but most items are on there). The condensate collection pot is something I had left over from my three vessel propane setup.
Condenser.jpg

Condenser Kettle Mount.jpg
Condenser Pot Mount.jpg
Inside Condenser.jpg
Condenser Water Spray.jpg

Attachments

• New Kettle Parts.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Very nice work. I am a little concerned that with 3 gallons below the FB the mash may be thick low water grain ratio due to the height of false bottom and boil coil.

Very nice work. I am a little concerned that with 3 gallons below the FB the mash may be thick low water grain ratio due to the height of false bottom and boil coil.
Thank you

I estimate I'll have 3.5 to 4.0 gallons above the the false bottom. I think it will be ok for the brews I do (10 to 14lbs of grain). High gravity brews could potentially be an issue, but I'm not sure. It will recirc continuously.

I brewed my first batch and all went well. With 10lbs of grain and 6.75 gallons of water the level was at the 8 gallon mark (4.5" to the top of the kettle).

Back