Single Varietal Cider with Goldrush Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
Had a warm day yesterday and pressed the last of the 2016 apples.
Had just one bushel of Goldrush seconds and decided to press by itself.
Its the first time I tried it, and it makes a fantastic drinking (sweet) cider. Its so good, I almost hate to divert any to fermenting.
So has anyone out there made a 100% Goldrush fermented cider?
Next year, I'm going to skip all the blending for my sweet cider and just round up as many Goldrush apples as I can find, even plant a few trees in the spring if I can get some.
Merry Christmas too all. :mug:

I have not done 100% yet but I'm a big fan of the apples. FWIW my friend made his first batch of cider last year with 100% Goldrush and 1056 - I believe I scored it 41/50, and it continues to do well in competitions. The SOB even beat me head to head once. Once. :mug:

Yes, early the acid was a little high then dropped, we let them sweat a while but havent yet had a good environment for them to mature. Also just about our favorite apple, have about a peck left in the basement, nice and shriveled up and getting sweeter each time we eat one. Some of the commercial guys advertise a Gold Rush. If you are going to order some trees Cummins nursery has some now online to order. This spring here in WV we have a very harsh cold spell during bloom, Gold Rushes bloom late and they were the only variety besides our own CrabbyDaddy (high tannin, high acid, SG 1.072 crab apple) that actually produced a crop this year.

If you dont have any other late apples also order a Golden Hornet crabapple, they are little tiny yellow crabs you can also use in cider.

WVMJ

I have 5 Goldrush trees. 3 are bearing...one mature (throwing bushels) the other two maybe a bushel between them. I expect 2017 there will be more and a Single Varietal Goldrush hard cider sounds like just the ticket. Only problem I see is we (wife and I) are figuratively hooked on Strongbow Golden Apple...which to me is very sweet. I just cant see a Goldrush having that lush sweetness...that wont stop me from trying and quite honestly I got to get away from Strongbow as that much sugar aint good for anybody!

Are you familiar with Strongbow Gold? Could you describe a comparison between that and your friends GoldRush Single Variety?

Back