single tier brutus (re)build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidman

Reaction score
I managed to find a single tier stand for a very reasonable price and since I have no welding skills yet, I thought it might be a great rebuild project. The stand was built in the brutus 10 style but in really rough shape.

It is made out of 2" steel and very heavy. The previous owner had solenoid valves and igniters connected to some love controllers to reach temp and shut off. I did not get the controllers or box and only one of the igniters is complete.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

So I got the wire brush attachment out and used CLR and crude cutter rust remover to get as much surface rust off as I could. Top shined up pretty nicely. It came with 2 bg 12 burners but I already have 2 higher btu 14" burners. Now I have to figure out how to mount them as there is one bar welded across the bottom of the center of the burners and it's too shallow for the upgraded burners. So I am going to have to figure out an alternate mounting method. I think I will leave the BG 12 in the center for the occasional MLT heat adjustment and cut the bar for the BK and HLT.

IMG_0498.jpg
IMG_0500.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg

Seems like there is a lot of dissenting opinion on the safety of using these solenoids with these igniters. I know I eventually want to go inside and electrical with my next gen stand so I am not sure what makes the most sense in the interim when it comes to valves, igniters or pid's.

Would definitely appreciate any suggestions.

Finally got the stand sanded down and put a coat of paint on it. Next step is to make some SS wind shields.

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

It is turning out nice, hopefully you got it at a good price to offset your "sweat equity". It looks like the previous owner left it outside to rust which blows my mind. I keep mine covered in a flannel california king sheet when not in use in my garage right next to my Harleys. Great work!!!

It is turning out nice, hopefully you got it at a good price to offset your "sweat equity". It looks like the previous owner left it outside to rust which blows my mind. I keep mine covered in a flannel california king sheet when not in use in my garage right next to my Harleys. Great work!!!

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I am currently using a BBQ cover and its under a gazebo kind of thing as well.

I got the stand for $200 with all the parts so I think it was a good deal and I could flip it for a lot more than that if ever wanted to.

Back