Single Natural Gas burner stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethga

Reaction score
It's not pretty but I'm happy with it so far after a trial run. Thanks to everyone that contributed to the many,many threads on this topic.

I have natural gas piped outside, and was tired of using up propane tanks.

Based on reading quite a few threads here, I picked up a 23 jet natural gas burner and set out to build a stand. I didn't feel like welding, so, I went the strut route. Strut isn't the cheapest route but it seemed to be the most versatile.

I plugged up all but 11 of the jets based on reading here, as all 23 are a little bit overkill. I used m8x1.0 bolts + ptfe sealant to close them off.

Did a brew the other day, was able to bring 7.25 gallons from mash to boil in about 22 minutes. Once at boil, I cranked the ball valve to barely open and it kept a nice rolling boil. I did soot up the pot, which I am guessing is due to my (overkill) wind shields, I'm going to need to let some more oxygen in there. Considering putting some sort of adjustable damper, some strategically placed holes, spacing the pot, spacing the wind shields, or, just taking the screens off and not brewing on windy days.. we'll see. My pot can block the entire burner exit.

I still need to secure the pipe extension to the stand.

I did put quick disconnect on the stand side as well so that I don't have to carry it + the hose together, to store easier.

Inspiration (and some parts) from here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/my-weldless-build-using-strut.363128/

I had a kitchenaid natural gas conversion kit (something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenAid-Natural-Gas-Conversion-Kit-710-0003/204268072 ) laying around, that's where the hose and regulator came from.

Fittings were me piecing things together in the gas hot water heater/fittings area of home depot... I'll (maybe) paint it when it's warmer?

Some of the pics were before I tightened everything up.

video at full blast: https://i.imgur.com/c5t7R4H.mp4

65Rtv3x.jpg

tqWsOwA.jpg

A7wJj7W.jpg

BXyYcnJ.jpg

ruqNbCi.jpg

I use 20 tip burners like this in my rig. I don’t have that regulator on mine. My burner tip to pot distance is about 14”. I had suet problems on an additional burner I bought for an independent stand like yours. The oriface hole in the burner was the wrong size. I doubt cutting holes and such will make any difference. I used solder to close the hole, and then drilled a new oriface. My oriface size was a #57 bit. It now runs suet free. My increased jet to pot distance on my brew stand gives me great control with low flame. My wind guards are nearly all the way enclosed. I modeled mine from a design by tejassmokers. I like your stand. The independent stand I made has no wind guards. I removed them thinking it would stop my suet issue. My friend owns an HVAC company and he told me about resizing the oriface.

I use 20 tip burners like this in my rig. I don’t have that regulator on mine. My burner tip to pot distance is about 14”. I had suet problems on an additional burner I bought for an independent stand like yours. The oriface hole in the burner was the wrong size. I doubt cutting holes and such will make any difference. I used solder to close the hole, and then drilled a new oriface. My oriface size was a #57 bit. It now runs suet free. My increased jet to pot distance on my brew stand gives me great control with low flame. My wind guards are nearly all the way enclosed. I modeled mine from a design by tejassmokers. I like your stand. The independent stand I made has no wind guards. I removed them thinking it would stop my suet issue. My friend owns an HVAC company and he told me about resizing the oriface.

I added bolts around the top to create separation and allow air in.. did a brew the other day and had 0 soot on the pot.

Wind screens are in place.. here's how it stands now. Painted it up and also added an ignitor (found on amazon)

Attachments

• 20200510_182643.jpg
    20200510_182643.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200510_185630.jpg
    20200510_185630.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200507_150139.jpg
    20200507_150139.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 73
Back