Brett Beer Single Hopped Brett IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gprop3

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Omega All the Bretts
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
25 days at room temp
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at room temp
Additional Fermentation
1-6 months in bottle
Tasting Notes
Best batch to date
My first shot at a 100% Brett beer to try and get a friend into homebrewing. Turned out to be one of the best beers I've made and scored a 35 and took 3rd in the AWA category in a local competition when it was young. Now that it's aged a bit in the bottle, it's become something worth sharing.

I BIAB'd this batch in a 15 gallon kettle with 65% eff. I ended up with 7.5 gallons finished to split with my co-brewer.

Mashed at 151 for 60 mins.
Mashout at 170 for 10 mins.
60 min. boil.

Grain:
2 Row: 50%
White Wheat: 21%
Vienna: 21%
Acid Malt: 4%
CaraPils: 4%

Hops:
1lb total of Belma
1.5 oz FWH
8 oz whirlpool for 30 mins.
4.4 oz dry hop for 7 days

Chilled to 70 and pitched a single packet of Omega All the Bretts for the 7.5 gallon batch. I DID NOT build a starter which was key to this beer developing great flavors of funk and barnyard. Stressing out the yeast really brought out the strawberry flavors of the Belma and this beer tastes like funky strawberries. The brett strips all bitterness on this one so it is really fruit forward and really just a great beer.

For a 5 gallon batch, I would pitch half a packet of yeast and save the other half for a future batch. Primary fermentation will take three-four weeks. After primary fermentation I dry hopped and bottled.

Bottled and bottle conditioned to 2.3 vol/co2. After a few weeks in the bottle, things tasted good, but the key to this one is patience. At 6 months, this beer has been tasting amazing. Even people who don't usually enjoy brett beers, or hoppy beers, have said this one is a keeper.

For future brews, I might consider dropping the CaraPils and upping the wheat. Definitely will be doing this again with other hop varieties.

Would love to hear others' feedback or mods on this one.

Hi, I just found this thread and it mirrors exactly what I have in mind. I plan to use Belma and ferment with 100% Brett C (WLP645). Do you think this single strain will provide similar flavours to a blend?
Will a higher pitch rate reduce funk, fruity or both?
Would you pitch less than a vial of WLP645 (less than 3 billion cells) in 5 gallons?

Do you mind posting a 5 gallon scaled version of this recipe?
OG/FG? ABV? Ferm temps and times?

Sorry but I'm keen to try replicate this!

Back