Single Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogwash94

Reaction score
I just got into brewing, in fact, I just bottled my first partial mash batch and I think I jump into it a little too quickly. I did a clone of Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale and it was probably too complicated of a recipe for my first partial mash attempt. Anyway, I'm think about doing several 1 gallon single hop beers where the only variable that changes is the type of hop and the amount of bittering. I guess my question is how do I determine a hop schedule with amounts that I can repeat for such small batches of beer?

I just got into brewing, in fact, I just bottled my first partial mash batch and I think I jump into it a little too quickly. I did a clone of Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale and it was probably too complicated of a recipe for my first partial mash attempt. Anyway, I'm think about doing several 1 gallon single hop beers where the only variable that changes is the type of hop and the amount of bittering. I guess my question is how do I determine a hop schedule with amounts that I can repeat for such small batches of beer?

try a program like promash or beersmith (i have beersmith)... and make your own recipes. then you can printout the brewing schedule and will help you organize your time if that is what is getting the day complicated.

Are you trying to use different hops to see how they can affect the taste of the brew? If so, I would recommend using the same hop schedule for each one. From there, you need to decide what style of beer you are wanting to make to get an idea of a schedule.

If you have a recipe in mind, post it up.

I'd suggest doing full size batches as the information gathered will translate to your other brews better. Also, look into SMaSH brewing.

Also also, don't worry about recipe formulation too much. First focus on mash, boil, and fermentation. You can have the best recipe, but if those go wring the recipe goes wrong. You could also use the same recipe for a year, but if you don't get consistency in those areas first, the recipe will taste different every time.

A guy that works the LHBS in my city always does a FWH with the bittering hop, and then his aroma/flavor hop at flame out. No 30 min, 15 min, etc additions. Seems to work for him. Get the IBUs out of the FWH hops and then use your aroma/flavor hops at flamout.

captianoats: I was thinking of doing a pale ale. My plan was to try to get a better idea of how the hops affect the flavor of the beer. I was planning on using the same hop schedule for the 3 or 4 small batches; the only thing I was going to change was the amount of bittering hops and the type of hops. Is that the best way to get a good idea of the flavoring and aroma from the hops?

If you haven't already, you could try to locate a case or two of SA Latitude 48 Deconstructed. They did what I believe your are trying to do. They used 5 hops from the 48 parallel (globally). Simcoe, Zeus, East Kent Goldings, Ahtanum and Hallertau were their choices. Very interesting experiment. Granted, it would not be your recipe, grain bill, or even choice of hops, but it still offers a nOOb like me a good representation/comparison of the flavor, bitterness and aroma of these hops. As a matter of fact, after a few cases of the stuff, I'm now able to recognize these hops in other beers. Give it a try, you might like it, if you can still find it! :)

This post is in now way sponsored by SA or it's subsidiaries. ;)

Back