Singha Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geigon

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Singha Clone recipe from "Clone Brews" (just got this book for my B-Day)? Does it come close? I really like this beer with Thai food and I love to cook Thai so I thought I'd try to brew a clone of this and am wondering how close the Clone Brews recipe comes to the real thing.

Cheers,
-Brad

I brewed it last week and is in the fermenter right now. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks! Did you use the All Grain Or the Extract version? I was surprised that Clone Brews' recipe called for flaked maize and not rice.

Cheers,
-Brad

I went all grain. Funny thing was that I had my first stuck sparge after about 40 successful runs. Typically, you think rice with the Asian beers but I think I do detect a hint of corn in this one and had plenty of experience drinking it since I just got back from Thailand about two weeks ago.

I stuck close to the recipe in Clone Brews, but used a S-23 lager yeast. After it gets done fermenting, I plan to lager for about 3 weeks and then give it a try!

How did these turn out? I spent some time i thailand 20+ years, Singha and the food are still on my mind...

I would love to do up a batch. I need a good recipe though.

The Clone Brew recipe turned out pretty good. Not exactly Singha, but a reasonable approximation.

I'm headed back to Thailand next Thursday for 2 weeks--I'm looking forward to the real thing.

Do you need an All Grain or Extract Recipe?

ed2670 said:
The Clone Brew recipe turned out pretty good. Not exactly Singha, but a reasonable approximation.

I'm headed back to Thailand next Thursday for 2 weeks--I'm looking forward to the real thing.

Do you need an All Grain or Extract Recipe?

I'd love to find an all grain recipe if you have it.

How was Thailand?

Ed and Phil,

I recently came back from Thailand myself and just about every corner in Bangkok you just have to go to 711 and pick up a double pack of the pints. So i decided to take a stab at the clone from Clone Brews and butchered my first attempt. Turned out tasting like my favorite sour apple candies! I am at it again with additional lagering equipment that i got this Saturday: Lager thermostat; a must have. Sour apple came from the primary hitting 50-60 degrees F the first 2 weeks. I will get it this time but came across the recipe again and questioned myself. Ed, do you know what specialty grains they are calling for in the all grain? What does your successful all grain recipe look like? Care to share? Thanks guys, and happy brewing!

I just got the Clone Brews book myself. I have not yet tried lagering, so I will wait on this one till winter, where i can better control the temperature. Porters and Ales for me for a few more months....

Please do post how it turns out or if ya need help tasting ;)

Philber, did ed ever get back to you on his recipe? I wanted to find out what the specialty grains consisted of in that book. May take It up to the warehouse and have them distinguish what it is. I need a good lager for the summer, may do a double batch. Heineken is getting way to expensive Haha. Thanks for the reply and talk to you soon! Ill let ya know how it turns out. Ill be brewing it in 2 weeks. Later!

Philber, did ed ever get back to you on his recipe? I wanted to find out what the specialty grains consisted of in that book.

Nope, Ed probably got stuck in Thailand...Want to trade jobs Ed?

I have the Clone Brew book now, but forgot to look up the recipe. I was waiting till winter to do my lagering due to my lack of lagering fridge.

Haha. Visa expire? Dang. Well ill let you know. Brew day is two weeks from today. I guess ill do a little more homework and then pick up my grain this week. I think specialty grains ia a blend pre packaged of its own but we will soon find out. Have a great weekend Phil, and cheers to the brew doods on here!

-Jr

Well,

The Singha clone is in the fridge to ferment. Thermostat is set to 49 degrees +/- 1 for the first week. A little FYI, do not leave soap in your only 5 Gallon pot. It will eat away at the POT, (borrowed my buddies and it was aluminium) Well, the good part of the story is, I got to go out and buy a better stainless steel one to add to the equipment :) Mashing went well despite that my floating thermometer busted at about 150 degrees leaving black pellets in my mash bag. Oh and to top it off, My yeast (2007 Pilsen) was 8 months old and never activated. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OVER 3 MONTHS OLD. IT WILL NEVER ACTIVATE!!) I had no other yeast to pitch at this time so i still pitched it. I will pick up another pack today and mail it to my in-laws to pitch for me. (Beer is 2 hours away since they let me use their fridge to lager) Other than that, I'd say it was a very successful brew day. I will be racking into secondary in about 2 weeks thus reducing my temp to lager as well for the next month. Hopefully it will be ready for the 4th. I will keep everyone updated on taste and other adventurous situations. Take care!

2012-05-28_10-16-59_448.jpg

2012-05-27_11-46-08_218.jpg

Ric, i am interested to know how this turned out...

I was bummed out when i looked up the recipe and realized that I have the "Beer Captured" not "Clone Brews" book. Since I can't lager till it gets colder it doesn't matter to me anyway. Come December/January this is on the top of the list...once i find a good recipe.

Philber,

Wow i didn't realize that I didn't post the outcome of this. I do appologize for not getting back to you guys. Anyhow; Turns out that the Local brew supplies store sold me yeast that was over 6+ months old and did not produce any crausen what so ever. Thank god for google while out of town. I picked up another activator pack on ice to last until i returned home. Anyhow, I pitched the second pack and it started to ferment. Let it lager for about 3 months. Color was perfect, and it smelt just right. When bottling, I tasted the batch and it tasted more like the yeast smelt when pitching. I think I pitched the second activator to late and the beer was ruined. Never buy any yeast that is at least more than 3 months out of it's mfg date.

Here I am, making a third attempt at this recipe. This time, It WILL turn out right. I have manufactured a mash ton as this attempt will be 100% all grain. I will use my digital thermostat from a previous post to control the mash/sparging temps to a T. I also picked up another Stainless Steel pot to be able to heat up the sparge water while draining the extract from my mash into my pot for the starting Wort. I will make sure that I post the outcome of this batch, as it will be the one! Third time's a charm right? Take care guys, and Happy Chinese New Year!

Back