Simply Beer Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cmu92

Reaction score
I have about 5 batches under my belt, but I have not brewed in about a year. I finally have some time to brew and I have a simply beer IPA kit. The last beer I brewed was a double IPA and it turned out great. The kit comes with 6lbs extract syrup and 1 lb dried malt extract...Briess golden light. I forgot to refrigerate my yeast when it arrived so I am going to order a new packet. Since I need to wait for the yeast, is there anything I can add to the recipe to "kick it up" a notch. The last batch had more than 1 lb of dry malt as I recall. I like a hoppy higher ABV beer. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks...should I add the same type of dry extract? 1 lb more?

Download BeerSmith and plug in your recipe. It will give you a read out of what to expect in terms of srm, ibus and abv. You can then add to the recipe and see how it affects the results.

I'm not an IPA fan, but I think another pound of DME should be ok. I'd probably use light to not change the flavor much. Maybe some IPA brewers can help.

A quick look found a pound of DME in 5 gallons = 9 points So add .009 to your OG. If the recipe was for 1.060 you would now have 1.069. If you got 1.010 for your FG with or without the addition the ABV would be 6.56 without and 7.74 with the addition of the pound of DME.

I have about 5 batches under my belt, but I have not brewed in about a year. I finally have some time to brew and I have a simply beer IPA kit. The last beer I brewed was a double IPA and it turned out great. The kit comes with 6lbs extract syrup and 1 lb dried malt extract...Briess golden light. I forgot to refrigerate my yeast when it arrived so I am going to order a new packet. Since I need to wait for the yeast, is there anything I can add to the recipe to "kick it up" a notch. The last batch had more than 1 lb of dry malt as I recall. I like a hoppy higher ABV beer. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yes, the pound of DME will make it closer to a DIPA but you would also need some more hops to keep it on balance. In other words, why not just order a DIPA kit. You also don't mention what kind of yeast was with the kit. If it was dry yeast, you don't need to worry about refrigerating it for a short time. Even liquid yeast is pretty forgiving as long as they didn't get too hot.

The only reason I am adjusting it is because I need to order more yeast anyway. So I figured I might as well try to kick it up a bit. My yeast sat in the box on the table in my dining room at about 78 degrees for over a month. Do you think it is still good? Dry Safale us05

Dry yeast should be fine even after a month at 78. It's pretty much in suspended animation until it's rehydrated provided you don't boil the packet or freeze it. At brew shops all over the country there are prepackaged brew kits sitting on the shelf with dry yeast packets sitting in them. Now liquid yeast is another story ...

How did this beer turn out? And what did you add to it? I'm about to do a simply pale ale and wanted to kick up the ABV as well. Just wondered what your final numbers were and how you adjusted the hops

I just stumbled across these kits at Midwest. Seems to good to be true!!!!

I've got a simply beer wheat kit in the fermenter right now. I supplemented it with a pound of breiss light dme to get it in the 5.5% abv range. I plan to keep some light dme and lme around all the time for just such alterations. I'm thinking now that I should have at least added some additional late hops to balance it, but since I'm still a little shy of really hoppy beers I figured I'd leave it alone. I dunno. Home brewing might turn me into a hop head yet.

Back