Simplest Hop Sock / Stopper Ever???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked this idea so much that I borrowed it. I made a slight modification to avoid using clips. Instead of two 'C' brackets, I bought 4 and used two on each side. This way, the bag is sandwiched between the two. The brackets I used, also have a rounded grove in them that helps to pinch the bag in place. On my strength test for this configuration, I actually tore the bag before any slippage failure. To remove the bag, I simply loosen the tension on the wing nuts and slide the bag out.

http://i42.tinypic.com/zw19q9.jpg

You're the guy! Thanks for this post, I made one and used it a couple weeks ago...it worked awesome.

P1050319.jpg

P1050320.jpg

P1050321.jpg

P1050334.jpg

P1050335.jpg

P1050336.jpg

I tried the clip to the kettle method in my last DIPA batch, but the bag floated to the top, so I said screw it and did my usual toss the hops in free floating in the boil, then strained into a second kettle at flameout that had a bag similarly attached with clips. Then I pulled the bag out to drain and cooled the wort.

I try to reduce splashing to avoid HSA, and my method is an aeration risk, but there is the argument that hops utilize better when floating free in the boil. Plus, with DIPA's, could you really fit all the hops in that little bag?

The hop straining thing has been bedeviling me for a while, now that I am doing IPAs, but the free-float boil, then pour into another bag-lined kettle @ flameout, seemed to be the best method so far (then again, the proof will be in the beer, still in the fermenter).

Thoughts?

I should mention it's important to add something inside the 'sock' so the bag hangs down all the way... I usually use 4 dessert spoons. Just remember to remove them before dumping the hops, they're easy to miss among all that muck!

My second version of hop strainer is this -
hop%20stopper.jpg

I salvaged the frame from a cheapie pizza stone that has long since cracked from using it as a base for sweating copper pipe - actually exploded. Advantage is a very wide mouth opening and no building whatsoever. Just some binder clips and a Northern brewer large filter bag. Make life with whole hops easier.

Not included in photo is the use of 2 plastic Harbor freight clamps to hold the frame on the keggle rim for added stability.

Thanks for the suggestion on the hop bag, fast tricky. I like that design.

Concerning BM's keggle cut: damn.

My second version of hop strainer is this -
hop%20stopper.jpg

I salvaged the frame from a cheapie pizza stone that has long since cracked from using it as a base for sweating copper pipe - actually exploded. Advantage is a very wide mouth opening and no building whatsoever. Just some binder clips and a Northern brewer large filter bag. Make life with whole hops easier.

Not included in photo is the use of 2 plastic Harbor freight clamps to hold the frame on the keggle rim for added stability.

I have that exact same broken-pizza-stone wire base! I kept it thinking to myself "I know I'll have a reason to use this!". Looks like a great usage of it.

Now all I need is a nice Full Sail Keg like that one you have there....

As I move from the valley of whole hops to using more pellets..... I have been playing with hop bags and have been intrigued by this base design...

I have one question.... For those who use Immersion Chillers how do you handle putting the chiller in at the 15 min mark?

(Note Last 3 brews I've just put the chiller in at the start of the mash....)

My concern with these things is the netting getting clogged with hot break and then having a low extraction from minimal wort movement through. Anyone experience this?

My concern with these things is the netting getting clogged with hot break and then having a low extraction from minimal wort movement through. Anyone experience this?

Yes, that's been my experience exactly. Pellet hops will also clog the mesh greatly reducing hop utilization. I no longer use one of these contraptions. Now I rely on my false bottom to hold back the majority of the break material and hop debris.

Here's the one I built FWIW:

4238651542_c61a9fae65.jpg

4238651688_4741c448e5.jpg

The support rod is a fiberglass driveway marker that I cut down. A single rod is all that is needed. I may give this thing another try sometime, using only whole hops.

As I move from the valley of whole hops to using more pellets..... I have been playing with hop bags and have been intrigued by this base design...

I have one question.... For those who use Immersion Chillers how do you handle putting the chiller in at the 15 min mark?

(Note Last 3 brews I've just put the chiller in at the start of the mash....)

Instead of inserting my stainless chiller for the last 15 min. I just let it sit in my star-san bath up until I turn off the heat. While I drain the rest of the wort from the bag, I also let the solution drip from my chiller.

Here is a pic of my contraption (without the bag).
IMG_0372.JPG

It is a stainless sink hole for a garbage disposal.

It seems to work fine for me. Maybe the IBU calculations are a bit off, but I'm not unhappy with my brews using this.

Yes, that's been my experience exactly. Pellet hops will also clog the mesh greatly reducing hop utilization. I no longer use one of these contraptions. Now I rely on my false bottom to hold back the majority of the break material and hop debris.

Here's the one I built FWIW:

4238651542_c61a9fae65.jpg

4238651688_4741c448e5.jpg

The support rod is a fiberglass driveway marker that I cut down. A single rod is all that is needed. I may give this thing another try sometime, using only whole hops.

Sorry to dredge up an ancient thread, but I am looking at building one of these this weekend. Has the topic of hops clogging the hop sacks been explored any further? The two LHBS's in my area both carry almost exclusively pellet hops. I have used the muslin bags for individual hop additions for years.

The idea of a reusable piece of equipment like this is appealing. If I am already using muslin hop bags ( I tie them with enough head space so as not to compact the pellets), should I see any real difference in my hop utilization with one of these?

Back