Simple question for my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm sure this question will be laughable to most, but I just want to make sure I'm doing things the best way possible for my first batch.

This is what I have to work with:
  • One 5-gal glass carboy
  • One 6.5-gal plastic bucket with spigot
  • 3 feet of 1.25-inch outside diameter, 1-inch inside diameter plastic hose (for blow-off)
  • 5 feet of 3/8-inch inside diameter plastic hose (for siphoning)

First batch is an Irish stout. I don't want to do a secondary if I can avoid it (it being my first time and all). So I can ferment in my carboy or plastic bucket with spigot.

Fermenting in my bucket with spigot:
Would I have a problem siphoning to the carboy after 2-3 weeks of fermentation given that there is probably going to be a ton of sediment at the bottom of the bucket? I don't want the spigot to pick up all of that stuff on the bottom. The spigot does sit about 1/2-inch above the bottom of the bucket.

Also, once siphoned from bucket to carboy, can I prime from the carboy? Then siphon back into the bucket and then siphon into bottles using the spigot? It seems like Im transferring the beer too many times.

Fermenting in my carboy:
It's only a 5 gallon carboy. Is that too small for a 5-gal batch of beer? I have a blow off hose. Its my understanding that I can attach that for a couple of days until it dies down a little. Then attach an airlock. Let that ferment for a couple of weeks. Then siphon into the bucket, add the priming sugar and then use the spigot to siphon into bottles.

Does fermenting in my carboy sound like a better plan? Or the plastic bucket? Or is there a method I didnt mention? Anyway, I just want to know what the best way to brew is given my set up.

Thanks!

You can skip the secondary.

If you leave your beer in the pimary fermenter for 2-3 weeks, then you can rack directly to the bottling bucket.

If you intend on using the spigot, I would suggest running off until there is no more coudiness, but it is defintiely going to suck the sediment ino tthe spigotm and al of that yeast and trub will en upin your bottles, so it is not recommended.

The more transfers the more risks. Oxidation and infection. You could consider picking up an extra spigot and HD bucket and making another bottling bucket. Costs less than $10. Then you have two fermenters and can brew more beer.

If it was me, I would brew your stout and put it in the plastic bucket. Then brew another and put it in the carboy. Leave them on the yeast for 4 weeks, no secondary. Make another bottling bucket. Then enjoy 10 gallons of brew instead of five while lamenting empty fermenter space.

Good Luck with your first brew!

I would stick with just the primary to start. You are not adding anything to the beer post fermentation that would require a secondary so it will be much easier and safe to just leave it in the primary. You can use either the carboy or the bucket but if you use the bucket I would siphon rather then using the spigot due to the sediment at the bottom you dont want that in the bottle. Cheers and good luck.

Another dumb question: If I ferment in the carboy, I wait until 75 degrees, then add the wort to the carboy (using a strainer to keep all of the trub and such out of the carboy). Then I can pitch the yeast right into the carboy? And then aerate. (I've heard of people aerating before and after pitching). All of this sound ok?

EDIT: Might be useful to mention that I do not own a racking cane. Can I siphon without it?

Sounds like your on the right track. Make sure you take a hydro reading before you pitch the yeast. If dry yeast you can rehydrate then add if liquid just add it.

IMO i would make a trip to the LHBS for a racking cane and bottling bucket, you will have 2-4 weeks to do this while your beer is in the fermenter. The cost should be under $20. Definitely use your bucket for you fermentor, the extra space will prevent a mess and loss of beer. You dont wanna transfer anymore than is necessary. My method is to ferment for 3-4 weeks, then rack to bottling bucket and bottle. It doesnt get any easier than that. You can get a racking cane for cheap that has a bottom on it that prevents most yeast/trub from getting transferred which will make things much easier. Hope this helps.:mug:

I've only been brewing for a couple of years and tend to have lots of questions like yours. Here's my two cents:

I don't see the need to fear moving the beer to secondary. If I were you I would ferment in the bucket simply because there is more room (a five gallon carboy just seems too small for a five gallon brew). After fermentation I would siphon (not drain from the spigot you'll pull too much trub) to the carboy and let it rest for a day or a few days. On bottling day I would move the beer back to the bucket where I would add in my priming agent, then bottle.

I don't mean to sound patronizing, but I've spent a lot of time fretting over the details of my brews. I'm starting to think that beer is much more resilient than I (we) give it credit. I do my best to keep things clean, hold temps constant, and keep things simple.

Lastly, at some point I would recommend an auto-siphon. I got one about a year ago and although there are some parts to keep clean it is a great tool. Here's an example of one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E60JF6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20.

Hope this helps and good luck. Let us know how it turns out!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on auto-siphon.

My LHBS gave me one with my set up kit and I believe it saved me a lot of hassle and angst that I could have encountered in my first couple of batches. You may not use it forever but it's a handy tool for a beginner. (Being a beginner, I can say this with authority...)

And get the little clip that holds it to the side of your bucket if you're doing things by yourself!

Oh, and, RDWHAHB.

Another dumb question: If I ferment in the carboy, I wait until 75 degrees, then add the wort to the carboy (using a strainer to keep all of the trub and such out of the carboy). Then I can pitch the yeast right into the carboy? And then aerate. (I've heard of people aerating before and after pitching). All of this sound ok?

You may want to ferment at a lower temperature than 75F.
WL WLP004 suggests 65-68F
Wyeast 1084 suggests 62-72F

Don't worry about a strainer. It would probably get clogged anyway.

IMHO you should not ferment a 5 gallon batch in the 5 gallon carboy. Buy another bucket if you can. Or use the bucket you have. Let it ferment for at least 3 weeks, 4 if you can. This will give the yeast time to clean up their mess after they are done pissing alcohol and farting Co2. (I don't bottle with sugar so the next thing I am going to say is my own opinion of what I would do if you choose not to buy another bucket) Carefully siphon the beer from the bucket to the sanitized carboy after the 4 weeks. You can tip the carboy a bit to reduce the chance of splashing on the bottom of the carboy. Get the hose all the way to the bottom. Clean and sanitize the bucket, then carefully siphon back to the bucket for bottling.

Def use the 6.5G bucket,5G of brew needs the head space. And don't worry so about the spigot. I made my own bottling bucket with an Italian spigot slightly nearer to the bottom than usual. The only yeast that got sucked up was inside the spigot of the primary when priming in the bottling bucket. Beer was quite clear,& it's a Belgian wit clone.
If you're carefull,the spigot is not to be feared. No way in hell is it going to suck all the trub off the bottom. I've never experienced that. Just a little bit if I tip too much to get more beer out that's below the level of the spigot base. Imo,too many companies put the spigot up a little too high off the bottom. It's not like I'm going to get 2"+ of trub. Usually about 1/2" or less.

Back