simple pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sross

Reaction score
It is that time again to brew a new recipe. This time around I am looking to do a nice and simple pale ale. The recipe i wrote is is simple and I i feel like I can count of the forum to critique it and say if anything seems like a grave mistake in brewing this. So the recipe goes like this:

6.6 pounds light LME or preferably or 5 pounds 3 oz of Muntons light DME.
(makes 4.7% ABV)
.75oz Citra Pellets @60min
1.25oz Amarillo Pellets @30min
.75oz of Riwanka NZ @10min

Tell me what you guys think!!!

Well, I think using citra and amarillo for bittering is sort of a waste of good tasting hops! 30 minute hops provide bitterness, but very little flavor so I would save the amarillo for flavoring or aroma OR move them to 60 minutes for the bittering hops.

I'd use a neutral bittering hop at 60 minutes to get to 30-40 IBUs or so, and then use the amarillo and/or citra at 15 minutes for flavor, and 5-0 minutes for aroma.

Probably like this:

1 ounce magnum (or galena, or any neutral hop, but cascade or amarillo is fine too) at 60 minutes
.5 ounce Amarillo (or NZ hops or citra, whatever you want for flavor hops) 15 minutes
.5 ounce Amarillo (or NZ hops or citra, whatever you choose for aroma hops) 5 minutes

.5 ounce of hops at flame out of your choice

What Yooper said. Citra ans Amarillo have unmistakable aromas. They're worth saving for later in the boil. I'd personally do (working with the hops you have):

.75-1oz @ 60min of Centennial, Magnum, Columbus, or whatever you feel like (AA% 8 or higher)
1.25oz Amarillo @10min
.75oz Riwanka @0min
.75oz Citra -- Dry Hopped

Back