Simcoe Supplement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
Like it reads...supplement, not substitute cause I know there is no substitute.

I've got quite a bit of Simcoe for now, but who knows what the future holds so my question is, What is another hop variety that will give dramatic, strong results for use with dry hopping similar to the way Simcoe does? I'm not talking about similar in flavor, but similar in ability to be absorbed by the beer like Simcoe does.

In my experience Simcoe has been the one that really lays down a huge nose aroma and great flavor. I've tried Citra which smells great, but lacks in the flavor dept for me. I use a bit of Palisade and Amarillo, but they can be hard to find at times too. Just looking for opinions from guys that love hugely dry hopped IPA's. I'm up to 4-5 ozs in the secondary and would like to cut the Simcoe use down for conservation, but I don't want to lose the greatness. I don't mind a different flavor, but it has to be big flavor.

I've got Citra and Zythos. Never blended Simcoe and Cascade and I've heard great things about Galaxy. What's Galaxy similar to? I also have a lb of Horizon on it's way. Any opinions on that for dry hopping?

I've got Citra and Zythos. Never blended Simcoe and Cascade and I've heard great things about Galaxy. What's Galaxy similar to? I also have a lb of Horizon on it's way. Any opinions on that for dry hopping?

Galaxy is basically NZ version of Citra

Right now I am trying to use summit in place of simcoe in a DFH type ipa so I will give feedback on how the flavors differ.

Back