Simcoe Amarillo Mosaic Session IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleppiek

Reaction score
Going to be brewing the following later this week. Any feedback on the Hop Schedule in particular?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Session IPA 1.0
Author: Aleppiek

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.26%
IBU (tinseth): 47.91
SRM (morey): 5.23

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (85.7%)
1 lb - American - Vienna (9.5%)
0.5 lb - American - Victory (4.8%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: First Wort, IBU: 7.37
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: First Wort, IBU: 9.98
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 14.5
0.25 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 6.04
0.25 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 4.09
0.25 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.94
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 0 min
0.25 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min
0.25 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 8.43 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Denny's Favorite 50 1450
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 60 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

I'm sure that will be a good brew...though if were me I would exactly double all of the Mosaic additions. 1) Because Mosaic is awesome, and 2) I think you need more IBU, because in my experience a Session IPA needs a BU:GU ratio at least 1.2 so that you know it's supposed to be an IPA, and not just an APA.

I would also either mash a little bit higher (154F) or sub in a little bit of CaraPils (to keep some residual body), or at the least sub in a little wheat malt to help with head. Completely your call though, depends how you like 'em.

What's your water profile?

Portland's Water profile is roughly as follows.

Bull Run Watershed
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 Alkalinity pH
2 1 2 10 1 9 (HCO3) 8

City of Portland Water Department

And good point on the Mash Temp, I've been pretty consistent in 152 - 154 in my recent brews.

Id go so far as to suggest tripling all the hop additions, save the FWH. My last session IPA had 14oz in total and I still am adding mroe in the next one

yup, try it. add like everything (except 2-3oz for dry hops) at flameout for an hour long hopstand. Amazing flavor and no firm bitterness on the palate

That is a serious hop bill for a low alcohol IPA... as is this will be 47 IBU or so.

Yeah I think that would be overkill. You don't want a session IPA to eat the enamel off your teeth.

I have been doing some session IPA's recently and I think your IBU's look good, pretty close to where mine are ending up. If anything I might move the 15 minute to 10. You will only loss about 4 IBU's which i doubt you will notice.

Also I mashed at 154 last time as well, the body is getting pretty close to where I want it there.

For the bittering hops, why use a blend of all three? As I understand it, they are not going to contribute much flavor or aroma - just bitterness. Instead, I would use a minimal amount of CTZ (or some similar high AA hop) to get to the IBUs you desire. Doesn't really matter either way, except for simplicity/cost's sake.

For the rest of the hops, I would increase the dosage like others have said, and also move them even later in the boil. A 1/2 oz of each at 5 mins and then another 1/2 oz of each for a hopstand/whirlpool. I'd even let the wort cool down to 185 or so before adding the whirlpool hops. Combined with a big dry hop, this will give you a ton of juicy hop flavor and aroma.

For the bittering hops, why use a blend of all three? As I understand it, they are not going to contribute much flavor or aroma - just bitterness. Instead, I would use a minimal amount of CTZ (or some similar high AA hop) to get to the IBUs you desire. Doesn't really matter either way, except for simplicity/cost's sake.

I tend to agree with you, but I also wonder if the bittering hops would actually have somewhat of a noticable flavor in a lighter/session beer. It seems like they might, but maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I dont think the bittering hops ever have any flavor contributes, no matter what you put them in. Youd be hard pressed to pick out what hop variety was used at like 30min, youd never to be able to distinguish the 60min addition. The only thing that matters is alpha acid content and cohumelone% for the "harshness" of the bittering quality

Actually, doing your bittering as a FWH Addition will leave a noticable aroma. Something about steeping in Mash temp wort makes the oils less volatile, and changes the bittering from a sharp to a more rounded bitter, and leaves aroma somewhat intact. In my admittedly small experience at least.

Old thread but wondering how this turned out? I have 8oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Mosaic begging to be used.

I don't like amazing aroma hops being "wasted" at 60min.. IMHO use Magnum at 60min and distribute the mosaic, amarillo and simcoe for 15min, WP and DH

I don't like amazing aroma hops being "wasted" at 60min.. IMHO use Magnum at 60min and distribute the mosaic, amarillo and simcoe for 15min, WP and DH
I agree and I use Magnum almost exclusively for my bittering. My curiosity is about the hop combo.

Back