Silicone hoses - QD or just barb attachments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrewer

Reaction score
I have my pump and silicone hoses ready to go, but I am trying to decide if I really need Quick Disconnects. Does anyone just push them on to the barb and pull them off when moving from vessel to vessel? Or will the pressure from the moving liquid cause them to slip off midflow? I do not plan on using worm clamps of any kind, just slide them on and off.

If I need QD's to avoid a mid-brew accident, then okay and I will spend the $$$. If the silicone will stay put I can use my $$$ on something else.

One thing to think about is the heat.. If the hose barb is pretty hot, it might not be fun to push the hose over it.. I'm just going to use hose barbs on my keggle and CFC for now though..

I bought the flexible silicone hoses and just push them onto barbs. I have a HERMs and it's no big deal reconfiguring when it's hot and no need for clamps either. I did purchase quick disconnects at the same time and later figured I didn't need them.

i was going to buy QD's, but i've had no problems just pushing the silicone hose onto the hose barbs without a clamp or anything. i use a pump too and the hoses stay on snug and don't leak.

I like my QDs. They do get hot so I use a towel to grab when disconnecting.

Back