Silicone Food Grade Tubing Lifespan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlint

Reaction score
Quick question. I'm thinking about upgrading to the food grade silicone tubing. How long does it last compared to the regular vinyl clear tubing for the LHBS? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had the same heavy 1/2" silicone tubing on my system for over 8 years. No problems with softening or keeping it clean and sanitary. Doesn't even discolor very much.

What are you using this for? The two types of tubing have different uses.

Silicone: Can handle heat, can't handle pressure.
Vinyl: Can handle pressure, can't handle heat.

From BK through pump and chiller into carboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just replaced mine this past week after having it for about 2.5 years. The only issue I encountered was a small crack where my the tubing would bend coming out of the kettle ball valve to the pump, I suspect there were more cracks or defects because my pump was cavitating often. I probably could have gotten away with just replace that section of tubing, but I decided to replace it all since I was already refurbishing and upgrading my system. My old tubing had discolored after years of use.

I swapped my old tubing for Brew Hardware's clear(er) silicone tubing. I would recommend using Oetiker clamps or smooth adjustable clamps over the standard worm clamps so that you don't bite into the tube.

Back