Signs of turning vinegar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwa-brewing

Reaction score
Aside from taste, what are some warning signs your wine might be trying to turn to vinegar.

I ask because I started a batch of blueberry pomegranate using 1.5 gallons of rw Knudsen pure pomegranate juice and 1.5 gallons of pure blueberry juice.

It's been a couple weeks and I did a little taste test and the flavor is strange... It's not unpleasant but almost an after taste of black olives??? It's bizarre, neither flavor is really standing out, I know it's not even finished yet but thinking maybe to much pomegranate juice? Or should I worry about the wine spoiling? It's still bubbling away to though

Well, it's almost always going to taste strangely that young. I think in large part it depends on whether everything was sanitized beforehand, and, more importantly perhaps, airlocked properly, to keep acetobacter from taking hold. It wouldn't be terribly likely for aceto take hold during vigorous fermentation, though any of other various infections might take hold.

Well I have been very good about sanitation, never had any problems before at least. Guess will have to check again after fermentation stops :-/

I wouldn't worry. You really can't tell yet. Did you follow a recipe or do this one on your own?

if you see an alien growing in your carboy or bottles then you should suspect some vinegar

Latest posts

Back