Sight glass question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coulter

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a question about sight glass combos. I'm getting ready to convert a keg into a brew kettle and was wondering if I should go with a sight glass/thermometer combo or a sight glass with a separate thermometer? Are their any advantages/disadvantages to one over the other? Thanks in advance!

BobbyM has a great little setup that he sells for keggles that is a sightglass/thermowell combo. Plus he has some good videos on how to install them. Here is the link:

http://www.brewhardware.com/index.p...rmometer-4ezst-240&catid=36:weldess&Itemid=60

The only disadvantage to one could be a slightly higher temperature reading since it is lower on the side if installing on a brew kettle or for your strike water. Easy way to solve that is to stir the wort during the boil to help with diversion layering, but that is a stretch in thinking it would impact your temperatures that much.

There are two advantages to separate ports, I think. First, it allows you to install the sight port at the absolute bottom of the pot. The combo unit has to be raised up just a bit to have the dial clear the bottom edge of the pot (important for storing the pot I suppose). The other advantage is that the whole assembly is tucked in more, sticks out less.

A lot of people skip installing a thermo on a boil kettle and just use a simple instant read digital probe to spot check temps.

Thanks guys! It seems to me that having the thermometer that close to the heat would give you false readings so I will probably just stick with sight glass and use a digital thermometer like Bobby suggested. Is it any different on a MLT as far as placement of a thermometer? I've seen some on the bottom and I've also seen some probably at the 2 -3 gallon mark above the spicot. Or is it better to use the same digital probe for this too?

Thanks for all the help. I'm new to AG brewing and want to get everything right before I start.

You don't need to constantly monitor the mash temp. If you have a good preheat process, you'll check it once or twice over the course of an hour, max. The digital is fine for that.

Back