Sierra Nevada Clone, High AA, do I need to change amount for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to try a clone of Sierra Nevada Pale ale this weekend. Now I picked up my hops and the AA is 6.9, not 5% as in the recipe. Ok, so I am changing the amount for the 15 minute hop, to adjust for the higher Alpha Acid.

The question is: there is a "0" addition of .75 ounces at boil end and another .75 for dry hopping. It doesn't say anything about IBU, or AA rate. So Should i assume 5% and take it down to .5 ounces for the '0' and dry hop addition, or just add the .75 as the recipe calls for?

I've searched this and can't find a suitable answer for end of boil and dry hopping additions.

Thanks in advance.

as long as you're using a chiller to bring the temp down pretty rapidly, there's no real reason to adjust. there's definitely no reason to adjust your dry hop addition.

there's a school of thought that postulates that aromatic compounds increase proportionally with alpha acids, but i'm not sure that's been proven.

You'd probably be just fine not adjusting any of the hops. Neither measure 6.9 or 5 is going to be dead on accurate anyway.

I just realized that I am doubling the recipe to a 10 gal batch. I should probably change the last hop and dry hop to 1.5 oz instead of .75, right?

Adding hops at "0" or via dry hopping adds negligable bitterness to your beer, therefore the IBUs do not change. Those additions are for the aroma. I would stick with the recipe's suggested weights.

Sticking to the recipe's suggested weights would be good if I were doing a 5 gallon batch, per the recipe, but I've changed it to 10 gallons. I think I'll be adding 1.5 to double the recipe when I get to dry hop.
In fact, I just finished my brew day and got 88% efficiency (promash). Pretty stoked about that. Now in 10 days or so I'll be adding .75 ounces of Cascades to each carboy.... :)

here they are sitting in the fridge with the thermowell just cooling down enough to pitch my yeast starter....
d24aae14.jpg

Back