American IPA Sierra Nevada Celebration Clone 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2014 crystal issue was more related to the quality than quantity.

The type crystal used in Celebration is pretty significant.

Just got the ingredients for this beer in yesterday, per the original recipe. I think I am going to drop some of the crystal malt, maybe use 1lb 4oz or something to that effect. Really looking forward to this one!

Brewing up a batch of this today!

I went with 12.5 lbs of 2 row and 1.5 lbs of Crystal 60L and I'm mashing at 152F.

For my hop schedule, I'm upping the flavor hop additions a bit because I like my hops!

Bittering with 1.0 oz. of Columbus because my LHBS was out of Chinook. I usually like to use Columbus as my bittering hop in my IPA's anyways so no biggie there.

I'm also going with just a 60 minute boil.

As for my flavor hop additions, I'm going with 1.5 oz Cascade and 1 oz Centennial at 10 and then again at flameout.

For dry hopping I'm planning on 1 oz of both Cascade and Centennial.

This is one of my favorite IPA's and a great IPA to drink in the cooler months so I can't wait for this one! :mug:

Just got the ingredients for this beer in yesterday, per the original recipe. I think I am going to drop some of the crystal malt, maybe use 1lb 4oz or something to that effect. Really looking forward to this one!

thefolkmetal: did you get a chance to brew? How did it turn out?

Just brewed this recipe as well.
12.5lbs 2-row
1lb crystal 60L

Mash @ 157

.75 oz Chinook @90min
.5 oz Centennial @90min
1.5 oz Cascade @10 min
.66 oz Centennial @ flameout
1.33oz Cascade @ flameout
1.33oz Cascade @ DH
.66oz Centennial @DH

US-05 at 65°

Hit my numbers almost perfectly.

Expected OG= 1.064
Actual OG= 1.065

Hydro sample tasted great! Color looked pretty accurate as well. Once I get it kegged and a sample taken I will post a picture!

thefolkmetal: did you get a chance to brew? How did it turn out?

I did! Completely forgot to check back in.

My FG wound up being lower than anticipated, so I ended up with 8.5% abv. Oddly, it's still incredibly sweet because of all the caramel. My friends say that it tastes more like an ESB than an IPA to them, and I tend to agree.

Also, I think that there is a great hop presence in this beer, but it really needs a little more straight bitterness. I have had it side by side with the real thing, and it is much more assertively bitter, and I miss that bitterness in mine.

So, if I were to brew this again, I would cut back on the caramel malt and bump up the bittering hops. Other than that, it's a solid recipe!

I love this beer and want to brew it next year some time since it is a little late for the season with the other stuff I have lined up.

All of the different recipes in here though is confusing me.

What is the difference in profile between 2012/2013? Do they change it every year. SRM 10 vs SRM 13 is a big difference, just trying ot go by the best recipe.

Has anyone brewed both?

Ok - this is my first time converting all grain to extract using Beersmith 2, but here it is (the beer smith xml file is also attached). I believe you would steep the grains as you heat the water up to 170. Again, someone may be able to do a better job converting this, but Beersmith indicates:

Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.43 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 13.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15.4 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 1 8.1 %
8.5 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (1.3 SRM) Grain 2 4.5 %
10 lbs 5.9 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 87.4 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 38.5 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 12.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 14.7 IBUs
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 9 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 13.7 oz

Have you tried this recipe?

I brewed a clone of the celebration a few years ago and it was spot on. This one looks very very similar to what i did. Cant wait to brew this one!!

I'm planning to brew a batch of this on Saturday. Has anyone compared the BYO recipe with the OP's? I really like OP's grain bill for this, but the BYO hop schedule looks like it might work better for my system (adjusted for 60 min boil).

Just found a 2015 6 pack of celebration at a local liquor store... i was super excited until i got home and popped one open and started to pour it out only to smell that oxidized cardboard smell and then i tasted it and almost threw up!! This must've been sitting in a hot room all summer! Noooooo!!!!

Ive had an ipa in the fridge for a year before and never had this smell or taste. Horrible handling.

I'm planning to brew a batch of this on Saturday. Has anyone compared the BYO recipe with the OP's? I really like OP's grain bill for this, but the BYO hop schedule looks like it might work better for my system (adjusted for 60 min boil).

89% pale, 11% English Crystal.

I'd recommend fawcett in my experience.

Thanks, I'll give that a try on the next one. I brewed this about a week and a half ago, using the OP's grain bill, and a modified version of the BYO hop schedule. I modified it to work on a 60 minute boil, and I subbed in Nugget for half the bittering addition.

Gotcha...

I think the character of the English Crystal and the high mash rest are what makes this beer unique.

Particularly for an ipa.

Just bottled my batch last night, FG came in at 1.019. I mashed higher than I wanted too but I think it's gonna turn out nice!

Any idea what water profile Sierra Nevada targets for the celebration ? I've brewed an extract version twice that turned out nice but now brew all grain so I'd like to build up from ro water

Any idea what water profile Sierra Nevada uses for celebration ? I've brewed an extract version twice that turned out nice but I brew all grain now and would like to build a profile from ro water

Hey everyone. I don't have time to go through the whole thread, but I am finally going to have a chance to brew soon and I am going to do a 10 gal batch of this clone. I've made it before and it was awesome. I want to get the most out of my rare brew day, so 5 gal of it will be true to the clone recipe, but I want the other 5 gal to be different. The difference will be in the yeast and dry hops. I need some suggestions on what yeast would give the biggest difference between the 2. I will be using US-05 yeast for the clone 5 gal. Also any dry hop changes that would add to a much different brew. Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting back into the brew mode.

Is the pale straight 2 row or pale malt? My lhbs has both from briess and I went with 2 row since my projected SRM with that was 10 or so. I noticed the pale malt lovibond was almost twice as high so I didn't go with it

Hey everyone. I don't have time to go through the whole thread, but I am finally going to have a chance to brew soon and I am going to do a 10 gal batch of this clone. I've made it before and it was awesome. I want to get the most out of my rare brew day, so 5 gal of it will be true to the clone recipe, but I want the other 5 gal to be different. The difference will be in the yeast and dry hops. I need some suggestions on what yeast would give the biggest difference between the 2. I will be using US-05 yeast for the clone 5 gal. Also any dry hop changes that would add to a much different brew. Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting back into the brew mode.

Funktown yeast with chinook/hallertua blanc/styrian wolf

I'm going to brew a slight modification of this recipe. My beers tend to come out sweeter, so the biggest change is the mash temperature and addition of Carapils. IME, it gives the right amount of body but keeping the sweetness from being too overpowering. Any thoughts?

5.5g into the fermenter, 5g finished product
Est 70% efficiency (Robobrew v3.1)
Est OG: 1.065
Est FG: 1.015
SRM: 11.19
IBU: 64.22
ABV: 6.7%

Grain:
12lb Viking Pale Ale Malt
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Carapils

Hops:(pellet)
0.75oz Chinook - 60 minutes
1oz Cascade - 15 minutes
1oz Centennial - 15 minutes
1oz Cascade - 0 minutes
1oz Centennial - 0 minutes
2oz Cascade - dry hop 3-5 days
2oz Centennial - dry hop 3-5 days

Mash and sparge:
Mash in with 5.5g to reach a target temperature of 152F for 60 minutes
Mash out at 170F for 5 minutes, recirculate until clear
Sparge with 3g of 170F for a pre-boil volume of 6.75g

Boil:
Boil for 60 minutes
Add hops at 60, 15, and 0 minutes
Add 1 tab of whirlfloc at 10 minutes left
Chill to 70F

Yeast & Fermentation:
Fermentis US-05 - 1 pack (or Wyeast 1056, WLP001, etc)
Ferment at 62F for 2 weeks
Raise to 68F for 3 days
Crash to 35F prior to transfer

Keg & dry hop:
Closed transfer to star-san purged keg
Dry hop with stainless tube for 3-5 days, depending on tasting preference

your recipe looks good. I just put together a recipe based on the original in this thread and its similar to yours. i also think it was a good idea to up the dry hops with 4 oz instead of 2.

thanks to the OP on this thread. He is right that this recipe is right on the money for a celebration ale clone. I brewed this with the only difference being that i dropped the cara pils and split up the crystal malt to reach 12 srm being 6% 40L and 4% 60L. i also dry hopped with a 2 oz more of cascade and centennial . SN Celebration ale is a classic and it has been one of my all time favorites beers. My batch is fully carbonated in the keg at 15 days old and is virtually identical to the real thing. the hop profile is identical with slightly less body. im betting since i dropped the carapils.

Batch Name: Celebration ale
Brewed By:
Batch Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Initial Boil Volume: 8.7 gal
Mash Method: All Grain
Brew Date: 10/31/19
My Rating: 0/10

Typical Style Characteristics
O.G. 1.056 - 1.070
F.G. 1.008 - 1.014
ABV 5.5 - 7.5
IBU 40 - 70
SRM 6 - 14°L
Color

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G. 1.068 (72% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G. 1.017 (75% Yeast Attenuation)
Measured O.G. 0.000 (0% Actual Efficiency)
Measured F.G. 0.000 (0% Actual Attenuation)
ABV 7.1%
IBU 79.1
SRM 11.8°L
Color

Malt Bill
Malt Name Weight PPG SRM Type
Maris Otter– 4°L 9.25 lbs 1.038 4.00 Mashed Grain
Pale Ale Malt– 3.2°L 9.25 lbs 1.037 3.20 Mashed Grain
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 1.25 lbs 1.034 40.00 Mashed Grain
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 0.70 lbs 1.034 65.00 Mashed Grain

Mash Rest Profile
Rest Temperature Time Type Details
Saccharification (Medium Body) 152°F 60 min Initial Strike Mash-in with 25.6 qts of water at 165°F
Batch Sparge with 2 batches of 12.58 qts water at 170°F

Hop Bill
Hop Name Time Added Weight AA% Type
Chinook 60 min 2.00 oz 12.7% Pellet Hop
Cascade (U.S.) 15 min 2.50 oz 7.5% Leaf Hop
Centennial 15 min 1.75 oz 9.8% Leaf Hop
Cascade (U.S.) (dry hop) 5 days 2.00 oz 5.8% Leaf Hop
Centennial (dry hop) 5 days 2.00 oz 9.8% Leaf Hop

Yeast Details
Yeast Strain Quantity Attenuation Flocculation
WY1056 American Ale 1 75 Medium– Low

Back