shugar, what types have you used and results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkamdac

Reaction score
ive read the sticky "Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments" but would like to here some more feedback on what type of sugar everybody uses to bump the S.G., and there results

i personal have been using brown sugar but haven't been brewing long enough to give any feedback on it but would like to here what everybody else has to say

I've been going good with 0.4 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) per gallon of cider. Seems to work out well.

I like honey (when it's available and affordable) and organic brown "raw" sugar from the local health food store. But that's just me.

I used to work at a "U Brew" (brew-your-own) place, many years ago and we used dextrose (in the form of a clear liquid or a white powder) a lot for lighter bodied/coloured brews.

I think dextrose/corn sugar is best if you want a sugar that doesn't 'get in the way' of your other ingredients. My honey and/or brown sugar does influence the end result more obviously than the dextrose. Not everyone wants those qualities every time.

Back