Showing off my first year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradTheGeek

Reaction score
My first year hops seem happy. The trellising for the cascades was done in a hurry, next year it will be higher or proper poles. Was not looking for a big crop first year, but lots of veg growth to grow a healthy root stock.

The cascades:
eRKusq2.jpg

Zeus over the front walk, more for decoration, but I will use the hops too:
CTgmlM4.jpg

Wow, mine aren't nearly that high. We were way late in getting a trellis system built, so I've been wondering if that stunted their growth. They're about 3' tall right now and we just built the trellis system last weekend.

On the bright side, we have a nice system: 18' (above ground) poles with a heavy stainless cable stretched across at the top. Twine drops to each plant (my coir order has been on back order since mid may) anchored to a line stretched across about 8" off the ground.

Wow, mine aren't nearly that high. We were way late in getting a trellis system built, so I've been wondering if that stunted their growth. They're about 3' tall right now and we just built the trellis system last weekend.

On the bright side, we have a nice system: 18' (above ground) poles with a heavy stainless cable stretched across at the top. Twine drops to each plant (my coir order has been on back order since mid may) anchored to a line stretched across about 8" off the ground.

I am far from an expert, but that is a bit late. Hops are a northern latitude plant though and grow fast in short seasons. Make sure they get plenty of water (but not sopping), some good N fertilizer (I use fish emulsion - its not to strong that it burns), and hopefully you have them in full sun. You want the N for vegetative growth, good leaves so it can power good root growth for the following year.

Looks like you’re off to a great start! I like how you’re growing the Zeus on some lattice.
Thanks, I had an empty spot there, and a free rhizome - so I figured it would be cool over my walk. Not worried about production, but I will use whatever it gives me that I can pick off.

I was hoping to show off my second year hops this weekend while I am visiting my parents, but caterpillars... :no:

My cascade is doing great, my triple Pearl is coming along slowly.I had a magnum and a northern Brewer but one of my calves stepped on the magnum and I accidentally sprayed my northern Brewer with bleach. In curious has anyone else tried to get the shoots you trim off to grow, i stick then all back into the ground. Out of 50 + our - a few i have got one to start growing.
IMG_20180623_185040476.jpg
IMG_20180623_185031959_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180623_185008073.jpg
IMG_20180623_185115290.jpg

Latest posts

Back