Showcasing Cascade and/or Centennial (Recipe Advice)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatbelt123

Reaction score
Amigos,

My friend has a farm in upstate NY and has begun growing and selling hops. My cousin visited him recently and hand picked about 4 oz each of Cascade and Centennial and shipped them to me.

I'd like to brew a beer that showcases their hops but I'm torn between a super simple SMASH-like recipe or something with a bit more malt complexity. Or maybe I go completely bare bones and do two small batches of the same recipe one for Cascade and the other with Centennial.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts. I plan to brew this on Sunday. Thanks for your help!

You could do a small batch Two Hearted Ale clone with the Centennial. For purposes of recipe conversion, note that if he picked 4oz and shipped them without drying, you have the equivalent of about an ounce dry.

You could do a small batch Two Hearted Ale clone with the Centennial. For purposes of recipe conversion, note that if he picked 4oz and shipped them without drying, you have the equivalent of about an ounce dry.

Yes, they are dry. I like the idea of using Two Hearted as a base recipe. It's delicious, yet simple enough to allow the hops to shine through.

So I'm going to make about 5.5 gallons of wort and then split it before adding the hops. I'm targeting a OG of 1.064 and IBUs in the mid 60s (I don't have the AA of hops, so I'll stick with the average for Cent and Cascade).

To make the most of the hops, here's my schedule:
~ 1oz @ 60mins (less for Cent, more for Cascade)
1oz @ 10
1oz @ 1

I'll use American Ale II for my yeast.

Very cool, thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted!

I'd highly recommend dry hopping them, especially since they're so fresh. Personally I'd do something simple...MO or pale malt with a touch of crystal and only two hop additions...a big first wort addition and then a dry hop.

I'd highly recommend dry hopping them, especially since they're so fresh. Personally I'd do something simple...MO or pale malt with a touch of crystal and only two hop additions...a big first wort addition and then a dry hop.

this gets my vote... sounds so freaking tastyandgood

Weezy said:

Shoot, I wouldn't even add any crystal, just base and maybe 10-15% wheat malt. I'd also go a touch less on the 60, maybe .5 oz, then throw a 25 min addition in there.

All good ideas! I have a starter going and will swing by the LHS later today. I like the simple wheat addition. Thanks!

Amigos,

Thanks for helping make some good beers to show off centennial and cascade. I'm enjoying a centennial right now.

Basically I made 5 gallons 1.065 wort with 2row and 10% white wheat. I targeted 60ish IBUs and used a bit of centennial and Apollo for bittering.

Then I spit the batch into two equal boils (moving from big electric kettle to two large pots on the stove). At this point I began hopping with centennial and cascade separately to get the targeted IBUs (lots of late hops).

I fermented with 1056 for a week in the low 60s in two 2,5 gallon water jugs (hehe).

Then to carb I decanted to 4 2l pet bottles (wasted the rest), force carbed and served immediately.

Very simple and very, very enjoyable! Even my non-ipa neighbor liked them. He even was able to distinguish the differences between the two hops!

The only things I would do differently are: age a bit longer, dry hop.

I like the centennial better. Cleaner, lemon like flavor. The cascade is earthier, woody and piney as well as the cent like citrus.

I highly recommend trying an experiment like this!

image-2895092896.jpg

image-4098967674.jpg

image-1032548310.jpg

Back