Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so ancient orange mead (1 gallon version):

image3-226x300.jpg

Brew day blog: http://boykingbrewhaus.com/2014/01/11/brew-day-sweet-mead/

yG5cN2i.jpg

The large carboy is my snowberry metheglin, it's got some cinnamon, vanilla, and galangal root in it. Smells great! The other two are straight snowberry meads, I plan on sparkling these two... maybe.

5cK5zXb.jpg

The one on the left is a mulberry mead and the other is a red plum mead. The fruit was added at secondary after fermentation was complete (gravities were at 0.996 / 0.998 respectively). I'm pretty excited about these since they're my first melomels and the fruit came off of trees in my yard and the neighbor's.

yG5cN2i.jpg

The large carboy is my snowberry metheglin, it's got some cinnamon, vanilla, and galangal root in it. Smells great! The other two are straight snowberry meads, I plan on sparkling these two... maybe.

5cK5zXb.jpg

The one on the left is a mulberry mead and the other is a red plum mead. The fruit was added at secondary after fermentation was complete (gravities were at 0.996 / 0.998 respectively). I'm pretty excited about these since they're my first melomels and the fruit came off of trees in my yard and the neighbor's.

Awesome! What's snowberry?

Awesome! What's snowberry?

Snowberries are a poisonous white berry, but the honey collected from the flowers is absolutely delicious. The honey has strong flavor, which is predominantly what I'd call nutty, with some notes of butterscotch in the background; it's personally my favorite honey so far, and I've used it on bread and such quite a bit. I've yet to taste the mead though, but I'm really hoping those flavors come through in the end.

Racked my quad-berry melomel this afternoon for the 2nd time. Still needs a little clearing and aging for 6 more months.

1410913276163.jpg

3 gallon batch of 100% buckwheat honey Traditional Mead about 10 minutes after pitching the yeast.

0IkQsua.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412486156.565512.jpg
1 week away. Came home to find The fruit is starting to drop in my JAOM. Recipe unaltered from original. I'm petty conservative in that regard. Like to follow the beaten and proven path in my brewing thus far. Going to leave it another month on the lees and invest in a mini auto syphon. Looking forward to making more meads. Need to get a few more 1 Gallon carboys. Any tops in bottling JAOM

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413154118.066679.jpg made up a new recipe for my pumpkin spice mead, simplified, 1 pound chopped sugar pumpkin, 1 oz chopped raisins, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 3 lbs of honey and 10 drops of doTerra On Guard essential oil blend (wild orange peel, clove bud, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus leaf and stem, rosemary leaf and stem oils.) and one pack of fleischmanns active dry yeast.

15335109067_f698a07610_c.jpg

My. Good. Gracious.

In 5 gallons, this was 8 bags of Earl Grey Tea, 15lbs of local wildflower honey, 6 vanilla beans and 8 ounces of vanilla extract in the primary. It's absolutely amazing. With all that vanilla, you'd expect it to be almost "punch you in the face" strong, but it isn't. It's prominent, but not overdone. I'm very very happy with it. Only 10 months old, too.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414213965.911745.jpg

My blackberry in flashlight camping lighting... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lots of ground spices, and the lighting :) it is dark, but I think a lot of that colour will drop out with clearing.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thank you! First.prickly pear anything.

I bottled.after aging a year in carboy.
I am gathering more prickly pear. That batch had maybe 6 pounds or so. I want to get a good gallon to gallon and a half of prickly pear juice and try again. The color and.flavor is great.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416776890.831242.jpg

Rivermead Traditional
Rivermead Elderflower Mead
Rivermead Cyser

All pitched in September and all currently bulk ageing for the next 10 months. Also made 1Gal Cherry Melomel and 6 Gal Zombie Killer Clone. First year making mead and 10 Gal done.

Zombie Killer is amazing.
Elderflower was very very drinkable at 6 weeks.

All the rest are hot and require ageing. Elderflower was fermented at lower temperatures with staggered nutrient additions. The other meads were not and the difference is amazing. Now off to finish bottle pasteurising the Zombie Killer :)

Si

Some bottles of our apple mead. Even though I used Apple juice, the recipe was mostly honey water so I'm not sure that it qualifies as a traditional cyser. Cleared very quickly and tastes nice but very hot still and needs time to mellow out. Finished around 15%

View attachment 1416882208178.jpg

Update on my mulberry and red plum melomels; just racked them off the pulp/lees. Gonna have to back sweeten the plum one though, it's pretty tart! Both are dry meads, and the mulberry one is darn tasty and would go well with red meats.

WL2aSgy.jpg

9kUgzIB.jpg

On another note, while doing laundry, I discovered a Bochet stash in the basement:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416980992.563437.jpg

Very pleasant surprise. I did this last year sometime and it is delicious. Almost has a Coca-Cola nose and aftertaste. I was also surprised to find it is slightly carbonated.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416981213.655212.jpg

I also found 1 bottle of the first mead I made (outside of an incident in high school). I guess I'll bring it to Thanksgiving.

My first batch of mead. It's in the glass on the left.
We bottled it in grolsch bottles and I'm pretty happy with it.

IMAG1168.jpg

IMAG1176.jpg

Back