Show us Your Broken-in/Used Brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchoven

Reaction score
The title says it all ... I'd like to get a look at your battle-worn, used stand. I've see a bazillion pics of fresh paint and polished stainless ... I want to see what your stand really looks like.

Hoping to get some info on how heat from your burners affects your stand. I'd like to see how well burner spacing, heat shields, burner inserts, etc. work and what strategies you use to minimize heat on the stand.

I'd also like to see any changes you've made to your original stand after testing/brewing a few times.

Bring on the pics of peeling paint, rust, and discolored stainless ...

Here is mine:

PA030145.jpg

Converted to electric this last year. Mash tun is not pictured.

I'm still in the building stage, so I cannot show you a broken-in/used stand. I did have similar concerns to what I think you are trying to get at. Unless you are using stainless, most stands are galvanized or painted. Both of which will burn off around the burner. I made my stand in the weldless style, but out of painted steel instead of galvanized. I wanted to protect it from burning off to prevent toxic fumes and also prevent it from rusting. Setting a stainless pot on a rusted steel stand is going to cause the bottom of your stainless pot to form rust.

To prevent this, I made a stand heat shield out of aluminum that protects the steel around the burner. I did a how to on it here: Weldless Heat Shield for Brew Stand - How To

5857-finished-stand-2.jpg

bendiy: I like your inserts ... nice job. I'm looking to do something similar using stainless bent to 3-inch angle. I really like the idea of keeping as much heat off the stand as possible. Like the wind screen, too ... Is that a heating duct reducer?

Yeah, it's a 10-7 inch reducer. I held it over the flame outside to burn off all the zinc. I need to find another one. Home depot only has 8-6 inch reducers. It might work, but it seems small.

Yes that is a grant, however I typically just shove the tube from the MLT onto the 3/4" copper fitting at the bottom and pump away.

i got about a dozen batches on this rig so far. All the mild steel is away from the flames and is in good condition, though i wish i had another coat of paint on it. SS for the bits in the flame, discoloring nicely.

41871d1325204263-ezstor-single-tier-img_0265_md.jpg

I’m gonna dig this thread up and revive it. The stand is 11 years old this past January. I just did a major upgrade with a RIMS, stainless CFC, a pump, and related accessories. I just did the wet run yesterday, and it’s now ready to brew. If the weather stays above freezing next week, I’ll be able to brew.

Attachments

• 9E18D258-51BE-4A09-8BC9-41EDF873D5B9.jpeg
    9E18D258-51BE-4A09-8BC9-41EDF873D5B9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Back