Show off your 2012 Hops garden!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2nd year 1/2 wine barrel hops. Two in each barrel. Closest are Centennial, farthest are Cascade. The longest growing bines on both are around 13'. They're getting close to surpassing last years growth.

IMG_20120606_174122.jpg
[/IMG]

image-3767458850.jpg

Some of the second years are over 13 feet tall and will be to the top in no time. I thinned back the bottoms of the plants today, and just as I was coming inside, I saw the first sign of flowering. I'll snag a photo ASAP.

Just got my trellis up. There is only about 10 of growth space but I have a gazebo behind it that I can string some twine from if I reaches the top.

image-2210688241.jpg

Attachments

• image-926335721.jpg
    image-926335721.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 576
Well. . . Of 8 rhizomes I planted this season, not a single one sprouted. They have been in the ground for 3 months now and havent budged. Bummer.

sddanc said:
Well. . . Of 8 rhizomes I planted this season, not a single one sprouted. They have been in the ground for 3 months now and havent budged. Bummer.

Wow really?

Where did you get them? Did they have growth on them before you planted?

What is your set-up like?

That's the reason to start off in pots. Next season put them in moist potting soil in pots in semi shade with only a 1/2" of topping making sure they don't dry out. Vermiculite is best imo.

Update: growth rate seems to have slowed considerably.

How often do you fertilize and what is the analysis (numbers) of the bag? It may be your camera but those leaves appear pale. Also the water on the leaves? You are not watering daily are you? I have been fertilizing mine every Saturday because I see a decline ~ Friday. It usually bounces back ~ Monday. They are very sensitive plants.

Also your new grass could be a big part of the problem. It may be taking fertilizer away with run off. Newly seeded turf needs numerous fertilization frequencies. It has no thatch to hold nutrients and will go up and down in nutrient deficiencies very quickly. It appears it could use some N and P as well. 1/2 lb N per 1000ft2 would get that new grass green as a carpet. The P will help establishment of the new roots.

I don't fertilize and the grass is 9 years old. These are second year hops that I cut back and divided. The holes they are buried in are 4' deep and all the soil was amended with peat, manure and sand and dirt.

The leaves are pale...but are starting to darken from the bottom up. I've recently added some bone meal and a fertilizer...I will post the analysis shortly.

I don't water daily but we have had a lot of rain this week. Not too much sun.

I don't fertilize and the grass is 9 years old. These are second year hops that I cut back and divided. The holes they are buried in are 4' deep and all the soil was amended with peat, manure and sand and dirt.

The leaves are pale...but are starting to darken from the bottom up. I've recently added some bone meal and a fertilizer...I will post the analysis shortly.

I don't water daily but we have had a lot of rain this week. Not too much sun.

I thought you mentioned seeding in an earlier post. Oh well, fertilizer should help reestablish any lost nutrients.

Here are my 2 cascades 16' and 20' and some of the many burs. I also have a nugget about 16'.

image-3051792813.jpg

image-780665531.jpg

image-150916891.jpg

image-129925881.jpg

Updated pic of hops at the inlaws. Biggest plant is a second year cascade which gave me a pound of hops the first year.

image-2519188877.jpg

Centennial plant showing some leaf decay.

image-915296026.jpg

Close up of a damaged leaf. Anyone have any ideas? We have had a lot of rain lately. I haven't fertilized them but there is a yard of compost that they were planted in.

Attachments

• image-3308742474.jpg
    image-3308742474.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 638
BigJay,
Trim all of the bottom leaves off and the damaged ones and spray with neen or a citrus oil. the compost breeds the insects and if they have a harder access to the leaves the damage will be minamal

Just shy of two months old. I noticed the yellowing on the big one two nights ago and hit it with a feeding that night. That seems to be what it wanted since the leaves on the third node from the top tripled in size since then. That was its first feeding... I didn't know when would be the right time since there is a wide range of opinions on the interwebs, so I just let the plants let me know when they need nutrients.

2012-06-11_10-21-56_118.jpg

All of my hop plants are doing great, but the Chinook are going particularly nuts, pumping out flowers like crazy.
hops_10june2012.jpg

I haven't even fed them this year - they're still living on the first year bedding (which had tons of good stuff). Haven't used any anti-bug chemicals yet, either, though I came close this weekend when the munching seemed to be getting out of control. May eventually have to hit 'em with some Sevin, but with all the ladybugs patrolling the bines, I'd hate to wipe them out in the offing...

Cheers!

Day tripper your hops look great. My Centennials,Cascades,Perle all have pickable hops now. I think i will have at least 2 to 3 harvests. I still have shoots coming out from ground and i will let them grow. My nuggets mt hood and golding are still growing, no birrs on them yet.

Nice. I really like those stakes/supports but that's a great idea to increase the amount of growing space available.

Yeah, I stole that idea off a picture of a hydroponic tomato garden I saw somewhere. They had very bright light on all sides and did something like this to maximize space. I've made sure to keep the bottom mostly cleared out and the "chimney" open to allow airflow on the inside to prevent mold/mildew. I get a lot of light on that side of the house so it works out for me. I don't think this would fly for shadier places.

3rd year Hallertau they just keep getting taller and taller may haft to cut them back soon.

01.jpg

DSCF0085.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0088.jpg

That pole is 12', A definite improvement from last year
since they only got abought 5' tall.

Something is just now starting to nibble away at the leaves but the only thing i've found so far are ants and i didn't think ants cared for hops.

Tim :mug:

drhookmec said:
3rd year Hallertau they just keep getting taller and taller may haft to cut them back soon.

That pole is 12', A definite improvement from last year
since they only got abought 5' tall.

Something is just now starting to nibble away at the leaves but the only thing i've found so far are ants and i didn't think ants cared for hops.

Tim :mug:

Check for invaders at night. Pillars and slugs are sneaky little bastards.

Yeah the suck. But they will die, I'll sit out there all night with my Ka- bar.

Figured I'd update mine as well. All three are first year plants with the Cascade (left) winning so far at 7ft tall. The Centennial in the middle keeps getting its head bitten off so it's around 3-4ft. Finally the far right plant is also a Centennial that's green and healthy but hasn't really had a ton of vertical development.

image-4195414894.jpg

image-265017139.jpg

image-107975882.jpg

Haven't taken any pics yet. At our lake place in northern MN we have a Williamette that's 10-12', a Hallertau that's 6', and a Cascade that's 5'. The Cascade had the top two bines get pinched off, so it took awhile to start growing vertically again. All are 2nd year plants. I still need some fast growth out of the last two to get a decent amount of hops come fall time. The Williamette looks beastly and is growing a few inches a day. It should hit the eye hook at 22' in no time.

Jealous of you guys in warmer weather where you had 10-15' by May.

Here is my most recent pics after installing another row of 4X4's. The left (front) row in the top pic are 10 each of first year chinook and columbus. The right (back) row is 16 second year cascade and 4 first year. This was taken a couple of weeks ago but as of yesterday some now are about 16'. The second pic is just from the opposite side.

hops 12.jpg

hops 12(2).jpg

I have 3yr old fuggles and northern brewer on the wooden trellis, 2nd year cascade on the flagpole, and first year kent goldings, magnum, and nugget along the fence

078.jpg

076.jpg

074.jpg

Centennial, Cascade and Willamette... this picture was taken 6-12-12, also i live in Boca Raton, Florida and we just started the hot summer. The pots are just 5 gallon buckets and the frame is Presure treated 2x4 and is about 13' tall
7377120510_1f5f513513.jpg

My Chinook is out performing the other three varieties (Cascade is right behind it). Excited that I am going to have enough hops to brew with the first year!

2012-06-17 14.44.05.jpg

Second year for about 1/3 of the hops, no hops last year but that is sure to change this year. I have about 36 hop plants best are the centennials and chinook. I transplanted several of last years hops and made a new layout using steel cable on pulleys, so far so good! There is one main line about 100 foot between 2 trees and then 2 smaller lines that feed off it and other lines to keep the line straight.

Here is an album showing things
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80667471@N08/

small.jpg

Back