Show off your 2012 Hops garden!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here are my hops. I planted a willamette but I think it was too dry when I got it. The fuggle is the only potted hop and it's doing the best. Going in I would have thought the opposite. Centennial is going good but my cascade is sluggish. I think partially because it's getting the least among of shade.

image-2085004744.jpg

Fuggle

image-2228071596.jpg

Centennial

image-1354916669.jpg

Cascade

Tending to the plants today, 1 bine is now face level and starting to produce big, heavy, dark green leaves. The other plant is pushing 2 bines and is a bit shorter at the waist. Both seem healthy and happy in this heat..... For now.

image-3543014723.jpg

image-4239582499.jpg

image-3568622177.jpg

image-3716610933.jpg

Took some crappy pics with my phone today.
Centennials are growing near the deck. Three plants are at about 8-9' or so. I have a runt growing in the back that had two weak bines at about 2'. I cut them down to see if it will send up stronger bines.
Cascades growing by the fence. Tallest plant is at about 8.5-9'.

These are all second year plants, but first year in the ground. Had them in planters last year.

image-2857335653.jpg

image-2733164097.jpg

image-2631456098.jpg

I decided to go ahead and erect ten foot tall risers on the upper deck to give my bines more string to climb and spread out a bit more this season. Added benefit will be some shading up there as my house is oriented south-southeast for solar gain.

Chinook to the left and Centennial to the right (with three potted Fuggles in the back that I'm basically just keeping alive until I can find a real home for them for next year)...
hops_28may2012_01_sm.jpg

...and the Cascade.
hops_28may2012_02_sm.jpg

In spite of a near-epic hop worm infestation they're growing like weeds on steroids - way ahead of their first year at this same time. Even the side arms have sprouted side arms, and they're getting covered in burrs...

Cheers! (Death to Hop Worms! ;) )

My Brewers Gold is really moving now, a few inches a day (except for the last couple days when it snowed! :eek:)

My question is how best to train the bine around the corners. Should it wrap around the stake first or should I just go right to the twine?

ForumRunner_20120528_160647.jpg

The fuggles are going strong. I have centennial on the back, but they are just 9 inches or so. Stringing that line wasn't fun.

ForumRunner_20120528_223458.jpg

ForumRunner_20120528_223511.jpg

I decided to go ahead and erect ten foot tall risers on the upper deck to give my bines more string to climb and spread out a bit more this season. Added benefit will be some shading up there as my house is oriented south-southeast for solar gain.

Cheers! (Death to Hop Worms! ;) )

Wow, those look awesome! Post back if the shade the provide is noticeable - I have mine growing up the side of my house for some shade as well, but I'm not expecting much. Looks great!

hops1.jpg

150 rihzomes purchased from Simple Earth Hops. All of them are growing except for 2 . . . so far. I think this picture was taken before we put in drip irrigation. It wouldn't be a problem if we only had to water these hops but we also planted 810 grape vines and don't have irrigation for them. So that takes most of our time.

I'm in Central/East TX. Planted these sometime at the end of march. Far left is a Chinook crown that was planted a few weeks after the other. Middle is Cascade and right is Centennial. I recently dusted with Bonide Garden Dust. I've had some caterpillar problems.

IMG00065-20120530-1231.jpg

These photos are about a week old..
Here is the Chinook, the monster chinook.. I need to warn guests not to go to close as he will just grow right over you!

Chinook by Cyclogenesis_au, on Flickr

And here are the three Cascades I am using to grow a screen over the deck.. Very happy that it is actually working

Cascades by Cyclogenesis_au, on Flickr

Seriously, they have grown so much since these pictures were taken, the Cascades have some nice side shoots which are filling in the space just awesomely and I have lots of flowers and should have some cones in no time...
These are 2nd year plants (stoked)

Home gown hop juice brewed in the deck under a hop canopy here we come (Living the dream!)

First time growing. I used 20' of chain link fence rail with a slightly wider chain link fence post slammed 4' into the ground. The Rail fits into the Post.

IMG_1755[1].jpg

IMG_1753[1].jpg

My hops are in their 7th year and most of them haven't even come up! The Cascade and Mt. Hood are the only two and neither of them is more than 3 ft high. Been a cold, wet Spring. Down into the 40s at most nights in May and June is predicted to be 15-20F below normal.

Is it odd for my hops only to be about 6 inches for this time of year I live in SE mn and they were 1st years

That was where my first years were in North Central MN last year at 3rd week in May. They eventually topped out between 14 and 18 feet tall with some cone production. So no worries

This year they are between 4 and 6' tall already.

in order, here are my first year hallertau, cascade, willamette, and nugget.

the hallertau, cascade, and willamette are 8-9 weeks old. i planted a centennial with them, but it appeared dead, so i replaced it with a nugget, which is about 3 weeks old.

hallertau june 2nd - 8.5 weeks.jpg

cascade june 2nd - 8.5 weeks.jpg

willammette june 2nd - 8.5 weeks.jpg

nugget june 2nd - 3 weeks.jpg

may 21 2012.jpg

I planted three varieties as rhizomes in April (Tettnanger, Cascade, and Kent Goldings). Not sure if they can take the heat, but so far they look happy. Anyone else out there trying this in LV, or another very hot area?

Hops planted.jpg

Hop Planter.jpg

Home Grown Hops CASCADE (AMERICAN).jpg

Yeah it was 101 here a couple days ago. It should get to 110 at some point in July. A few stems are browning and dying even when watering every day but 98% of the plants are hanging in there and growing surprisingly well, and sucking up fertilizer too. I think that it will take a season to get the stems to become strong enough not to wither up.

My hops are in their 7th year and most of them haven't even come up! The Cascade and Mt. Hood are the only two and neither of them is more than 3 ft high. Been a cold, wet Spring. Down into the 40s at most nights in May and June is predicted to be 15-20F below normal.

Do you still live in Willamina? I planted at my parents house in Yamhill and my Cascades reached the of my trellis, 16ish feet. I even transplanted them from another location but they seem to be doing great this year!

Here Are my second year cascade and centennials I planted at the inlaws. This was two weeks ago. They are over the top of that 12 foot post now.

Here are my first year Columbus, chinook, cent, and cascade. The pic was taken in April when I planted. The Columbus and chinook are doing well for first years.

image-573323069.jpg

image-4119246801.jpg

my new hop trellis. made with surplus material from my business and a scrap hand crank from an old boat trailer so I can lower the bines down for harvest

SANY0164-1.jpg

SANY0166.jpg

SANY0165.jpg

Here are some pictures from today of my balcony grown 2nd year willamette and cascade.

Image0173.jpg

Image0174.jpg

This one didn't turn out too well...a 11.5" willamette leaf....all the leaves on the main bines are this size

Image0175.jpg

Image0176.jpg

1800 plants...soon to be on 2 acres....I think I. Know what I'm doing...first time hop grower...15 year farmer...lol lets pray..
7 different types....

2012-05-26 14.32.36.jpg

2012-05-15 18.40.39.jpg

2012-05-22 15.10.08.jpg

2012-05-26 14.38.15.jpg

Trying out the camera on my new phone.

The little dinky one that sprouted first and suddenly stopped has taken off again at about an inch a day.

The biggin is still rocking hard, growing about 4-5 inches per day. Not bad for a first year in the high desert with less-than-optional amounts of light

ForumRunner_20120604_104922.jpg

rudds67 said:
1800 plants...soon to be on 2 acres....I think I. Know what I'm doing...first time hop grower...15 year farmer...lol lets pray..
7 different types....

I agree that regular and detailed updated are now required. Maybe make your own thread.

Look what you got yourself into :D

7 different types....

Wow. I agree that you should have your own thread. What varieties you growing?

Two cascade hops:
IMG_1099-Optimized.jpg

Close up of young cascade. This is its first season!
IMG_1100-Optimized.jpg

Huge hops! Third year, its going up a twine to the olive tree on the right.
IMG_1101-Optimized.jpg

Going up the tree:
IMG_1104-Optimized.jpg

Hey..thanks guys..I'm goona need all the luck on this venture..plus a little god given talent goes a long way.....this weather isn't helping at all! Way toomuch water..I'm worried that some are going to be waterlogged..the soil mix drains but we hav had rain for almost 5 days strait....the next day I may build a cold frame over them to shield some of it off... f. as for types...I hav 650 sterling, 550 nugget, 300 cascade, 250 williaimette, 100 perle, 55 centenials and 100 columbus.... this year is just the trial year of the types of hops...then next year I get serous. .. most likely will be growing only the types of hops used for the craft brew markets... but I travel 3 months out of the year so now in my travels I will focus on collecting hop varieties from all over the world and create some sort of world hop yard... I already have my eyes on japan... sorachi ace....until next time...

How'd you get that bine to grow up the string like that? Every day I have to train the plant to grow up my 45 degree incline.

For about a week I had to constantly wrap it around the twine because it would come off. Finally it realized it just needed to stay on I guess. This is its third year and it is really strong so I think that helps.

I have another hop bine on the other side of the trellis and this is its second year. It isn't taking to the twine nearly as well. Maybe because its bines aren't quite as thick?

Finished my trellis! Have a 6" nylon mesh over it. Willamette + pie pumpkins on left side, EKG + butternut squash on the other. Hoping it'll cover the trellis to frame the back patio.

01 Trellis.jpg

Back