Show off your 2012 Hops garden!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My garden is for my nanobrewery I am launching in a few months. My friend is a landscape architect and he designed this cool trellis system we made out of bamboo we harvested and cured. The arms raise and lower. Within the garden are blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, and black currants.

406712_10100690556047019_851124870_n.jpg

Massive, massive first year cascades. They look like second year, I have no idea how they did this.

600961_10100646795822859_969828446_n.jpg

Trellis system. Inside the squares are the different berries.

Picked my Centennials today, got 63 ounces wet - just a couple of ounces less than the Cascades. But there will be more Cascades coming, whereas - similar to last year - virtually all of the Centennial cones ripened together. So this is pretty much all I'll get out of the four plants this second year.

hops_31july2012_01.jpg

Put together the third tier for the drier and promptly over-filled it. The Cascades should be done by tomorrow, which will let me spread out the Centennials.
hops_31july2012_02.jpg

Chinook will be a bit longer...

Cheers!

day_tripper nice haul. How many plants of each variety?

Thanks! Right now the whole house smells like a hop barn :D

Four each Centennial, Cascade and Chinook, all second year. Eleven have done very well both years, but one of the Cascades is a physical mutant with piddling production. It was the same way last year as well, so I think that one is going to Hop Heaven soon, to be replaced with a fresh crown.

Plus three second year potted Fuggles, for which I really have to find holes in the ground. The difference in growth and production between potted plants and "in the ground" is staggering. I got just a half dry ounce out of these three in their first year, they'll be lucky to beat that this year.

The Chinook are within a few days of being ready, which will just give me time to get the Centennial dried out, bagged and frozen. I expect the Chinook will provide at least twice the ~4 pound wet yields the Cascade and Centennial have produced so far...

Cheers!

Day-trippr- I have 10 varieties of hops :
2nd years
Centennial 2
EKG 2
Mt Hood 1
Perle 1
Williamette 1
Cascade 2
Nugget 1
1st years
BG 2
Sterling 2
Hallertau 1
I have a couple of clippings that also are getting cones. I can't believe that.
The 2 CASCADES are monsters in cone production. My centennials are not giving off alot compared to last year. Will have to wait and see.

I wish i was at your house smelling that aroma... How can you sleep at night with that smell, it would make me want to brew :rockin:

Harvest log
Date Type wet weight oz est dry
07/10/2012 Cascade 18.00 3.6
07/11/2012 Cascade 6.00 1.2
07/12/2012 Perle 3.40 0.68
07/21/2012 Perle 4.30 0.86
07/21/2012 Centennial 4.80 0.96
07/29/2012 Cascade 30.00 6

Yeah, but I would not be able to sleep because I would want to get those hops on the wort or open up a keg and dry hop

Here is mine. There are first year Cascades that I grew from rhizome. I planted four rhizomes and two have done well. One hasn't done much and the other I haven't see any signs. I'm pleased to get at least some cones as I've read not to really expect much from 1st year plants. I'll probably just pick them and wet hop them to an Amber or Pale Ale.

photo.jpg

Training up my columbus at 10', because of time restraints to put in the cross poles, and end posts.

ForumRunner_20120803_173848.jpg

I got a whopping 1/4oz from my first year Chinook :mug: :(2nd year Cascades are still forming cones, probably won't be ready to harvest for at least another month. Columbus,Hallertauer and Centennial haven't really done squat.

This is the Fuggle full crown from Great Lakes I planted this spring. Doing quite well. There was supposed to be a second line running up the face of the fireplace, but once the wind started blowing, and those long tendrils started to wrap around each other, there was no way to keep them separate. Next year I'll tie the lines on the face together to keep them from blowing around. I have Centennial on the other side, but I wish I had switched, because this face gets the best results, and I wanted the Centennial more. Looks like they really like the morning sun.
2012-08-02_12-29-16_726.jpg

Fresh picked Cascade today! How do these look?? This is my first year harvest and some of the mid-level cones were browning up quite a bit so I figured that I needed to get the dryest good ones off.
image-3750790054.jpg

So my Chinooks did really well, this their second season, producing a prodigious amount of cones, with a lot of those being jumbo-sized.

hops_05aug2012_01.jpg

hops_05aug2012_02.jpg

But over this latest hot spell it became obvious I was losing the war against a plague of two-spotted spider mites, so I decided to pull the trigger and pick the Chinook - which were pretty much ready anyway.

Yesterday morning I blasted the hop bines with the hose from top to bottom to hopefully knock most of the mites off the plant. I gave it over-night to dry, then early this afternoon started picking. It took the better part of the afternoon to strip all the cones off, but I finally got it done.

hops_05aug2012_03.jpg

That's 14.5 gallons of cones, which came to a bit over 190 ounces wet weight (13 ounces per gallon). At 20% moisture level that should yield around 38 ounces of Chinook hops. Not too shabby :)

Chinook produces some pretty good sized "angels".

hops_05aug2012_04.jpg

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
So my Chinooks did really well, this their second season, producing a prodigious amount of cones, with a lot of those being jumbo-sized.

But over this latest hot spell it became obvious I was losing the war against a plague of two-spotted spider mites, so I decided to pull the trigger and pick the Chinook - which were pretty much ready anyway.

Yesterday morning I blasted the hop bines with the hose from top to bottom to hopefully knock most of the mites off the plant. I gave it over-night to dry, then early this afternoon started picking. It took the better part of the afternoon to strip all the cones off, but I finally got it done.

That's 14.5 gallons of cones, which came to a bit over 190 ounces wet weight (13 ounces per gallon). At 20% moisture level that should yield around 38 ounces of Chinook hops. Not too shabby :)

Chinook produces some pretty good sized "angels".

Cheers!

That is a ton of hops, how many Chinook plants was that?

Mostly two. I had already stripped a couple of pounds off the precocious Chinook that coned about a month ahead of the other three, and then the fourth is a slow poke, so about half of its cones are still on the bine.

I have to say I was amazed those two plants could pump out that many burrs and turn them all into sizable mature cones. It just didn't seem possible, but there we are :)

I still have a couple of pounds or so of Cascades remaining for a second harvest of sorts, maybe a half pound of Centennial and a half pound more Chinook, and then the Fuggles are trying to muster up a handful of ounces. I'm not sure they'll all come in considering the mite damage which grows by the day, but I'm fairly happy with the harvest this year just the same...

Cheers!

Here are some of mine. This is the lower section of the Cascades, but I also have Sterling, Mt Hood, Willamette, Nugget, Chinook, Centennial, Pride of Ringwood, Galena, Newport, and Teamaker. All are doing great this year.

photo.jpg

Geez Day_trippr that is a site to behold. You must have great soil.

I actually had to carve my hop beds into some totally crappy "soil" along the edge of the decks. We did have a lot of fill put in that area to level out the property a long time back, and I guess what I was digging through is that fill. Good stuff to build on, lousy stuff to grow in.

So after digging out three 8'x3' holes almost two feet deep, I filled it back in with a mix of clean loam, horse poop, compost, and a little sand, and crowned the beds about 6" above grade.

The result has been pretty good. I had an amazing harvest for first year plants. In the fall after I cut down the bines I dug down along the sides of the beds and stuffed in more horse poop and compost.

Then this year I gave the plants a whole lot of neglect, save for erecting the infrastructure and doing a bit of culling and training of the bines. Watering is automatic drip, and I didn't give them any fertilizer until mid June - and that feeding was only because the plethora of burrs freaked me out and I thought the plants would need help turning those all into cones!

So, yeah, the hops are living large with their roots in a pretty nice neighborhood. Just like our veggie and flower gardens, soil is definitely key to good results. Fortunately, we have a huge compost pile, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a horse around here, so the ingredients are easily obtained...

Cheers!

I actually had to carve my hop beds into some totally crappy "soil" along the edge of the decks. We did have a lot of fill put in that area to level out the property a long time back, and I guess what I was digging through is that fill. Good stuff to build on, lousy stuff to grow in.

So after digging out three 8'x3' holes almost two feet deep, I filled it back in with a mix of clean loam, horse poop, compost, and a little sand, and crowned the beds about 6" above grade.

The result has been pretty good. I had an amazing harvest for first year plants. In the fall after I cut down the bines I dug down along the sides of the beds and stuffed in more horse poop and compost.

Then this year I gave the plants a whole lot of neglect, save for erecting the infrastructure and doing a bit of culling and training of the bines. Watering is automatic drip, and I didn't give them any fertilizer until mid June - and that feeding was only because the plethora of burrs freaked me out and I thought the plants would need help turning those all into cones!

So, yeah, the hops are living large with their roots in a pretty nice neighborhood. Just like our veggie and flower gardens, soil is definitely key to good results. Fortunately, we have a huge compost pile, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a horse around here, so the ingredients are easily obtained...

Cheers!

Nice, I'll be re-doing my Hop Garden next spring. We're Horse people too, so I have plenty of manure to mix in. My soil has quite a bit of clay in it so I plan to something similar to what you have done. I hope I have the same results.:mug:

Here is mine on 8/7. Left row are 20 second year cascades and right row are 10 each of first year Columbus and Chinook
hop rows 8-7.jpg

Second year cascades. Not so much foliage with the daily bombardment from
jap. beetles
cascades.jpg

first year chinook
chinook 8-7.jpg

first year columbus
columbus.jpg

Don't leave your twine out.

ForumRunner_20120810_150241.jpg

Someone moved it/drove over it, and now there is no end to the tangles.

odinsgift said:
Don't leave your twine out.

Someone moved it/drove over it, and now there is no end to the tangles.

You sure birds didn't do that? Looks like a nest.

These are centennial crowns I purchased from great lakes hops. Planted them in May. Not sure if I planted them to late or what happened, but they haven't hardly grown.

image-264015425.jpg

Back