show me your pully setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my hoist setup. I had to go with two ceiling hooks due to the locations of my joists.

Just a suggestion, I think you would be better served to swap your pulleys, having the ratchet pulley at the bag, and the other pulley at the ceiling would put the ratchet release within reach?

That is an extremely nice home brewery you have btw!!!

edit...on second thought with the ratchet at the bottom, the basket will not stay nicely centered over the kettle and will want to swing left. Disregard my suggestion above...your brewery is perfect!

Maybe a nice stainless angle fastened to the two overhead joists with your pulley center mounted over the kettle....maybe not lol. Or maybe better / simpler yet, say a 6' length of rope attached to the two hooks, then your pulley system is hooked to the center of this "V" shaped down rope centered over the kettle?

Just trying to avoid you getting out the ladder every time you need to release the ratchet....but likely with such a beautiful space you remove the pulley after use anyway...

Did I mention that is a damn nice space you have!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want to go cheap you can do it without any pulleys at all, using a knot called a "truckers hitch". Just a piece of rope and something to tie it to, and a carabiner.

Thanks Sparge and Wilser (if I recall correctly, the black pulley is one of yours, just with an upgraded rope because of the needed length). Reaching the ratchet isn't so bad - I have a kitchen stool that I keep in my brewery, and I'm tall enough to reach from the top step. It also makes pulling down the basket easier. I take the pulley down between brew days.

The space was my winter project - back in November it was all studs and exposed insulation. It was fun to pull it all together, but I'm glad that it's done. Great having a dedicated brewing space (my wife agrees, although she doesn't drink beer).

I have racked my brain for weeks trying to figure out a solution of how to mount the electric hoist I have. I can't mount anything to the ceiling. Since I have a 1bbl system I gotta do something. What I came up with was this: a game hoist that swivels that mounts to a 2" receiver. I won't use the hand winch and I'll take off the bits that keep the game from turning which should give me room to hang the hoist. I just gotta figure out a way to mount it to the 24" x 24" SS restaurant stand I am using to hold the BIAB setup.

31YEZF1TQVL._SY300_.jpg

Z-Bob - when I was brewing in my kitchen I went with a plant swivel hook - the hook can come off and just leave a metal disk with a screw showing - very unobtrusive and wife-friendly. Let me know if you'd like a link.

I have a 4' fluorescent fixture in the kitchen. I'm gonna see if I can put then eyebolt in the fixture hidden by the diffuser. Otherwise it will be next to the fluorescent fixture and maybe she won't see it...

Here's my simple setup. two eye hooks and a bent rod with pizza pan and racheting pulley.

IMG_2959.jpg

4HoFc9R.jpg

That pic is from a couple of years ago, but not much has changed since then. The pineapple plant has since died.

I like the ladder because it's somewhat portable. I prefer brewing outside on my deck, weather permitting. Occasionally I brew in the garage.

more pics here

Just too old to squeeze the giant camel nuts. That's a 25 gallon pot w/ 5500 watt element. To the left is a 40 gallon pot. I heat some sparge water and do a lazy-ass pourover sparge. Seems to work for me and no heavy lifting. Actually very little lifting at all.

IMG_20170506_164649.jpg

Here's my stove top setup. The eye hooks were already there to hang pans so I just repurposed them. I use a ratcheting pulley from my kayak rack.

Brew setup2-2.jpg

I use a ratcheting pulley and bag set-up that I bought from The Brew Bag. The pulley mount is a simple folding/height adjustable ladder. Screw lifting this thing up by hand. Pulley is a very worthwhile investment if you've got something to hang it from.

View attachment 389887
this is brilliant as i have the same ladder. then i wont have to do a eye hook in my garage. why didnt i think of this for my 15g spike solo build??????! ;)

How do you get a squeeze on a hoisted bag?
Sorry this is so late. Two ways -- get some heavy duty rubber gloves and squeeze the bag like it owes you money. Or you can literally twist it round-and-round while holding the top of the bag steady, and the constriction will squeeze down on the grain.

Back