Show me your draining system!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance

Reaction score
I'm in a somewhat small apartment and I don't have a garage or anything to hang my bag from, or a place to build and store a frame of some sort. I'm getting a bit tired of holding and squeezing the bag. Any other ideas?

Put a screw hook inside a kitchen cabinet, or above and behind the cabinet so that's it's out of sight and no ones the wiser...you can likely hide a lifting hook somehow

Or lots of stovetop brewers set a colander on top of the kettle, pull the bag and set it on top of colander resting on the kettle for draining. drawback imo of the colander method is you can't measure volume when the pot is covered if you want to, or need to sparge adjust pre boil volume.

I don't actually brew indoor, I brew out in my backyard. I just don't have a garage to store a frame or something in.

I don't actually brew indoor, I brew out in my backyard. I just don't have a garage to store a frame or something in.

Do you have a swing set for your kids? Could brew under it. LOL You cold probably create a tri-pod set up to hold the bag which you could fold up and put somewhere till next brew.

I use a large adjustable ladder with a board/hook hovering over my 15 gal pot sitting on the burner. Works great. I let it sit for about 10 minutes then I squeeze the **** out of it. I know, I use the squeeze method--- sue me! And I brew outdoors in my gazebo.

You could purchase that boilover kettle monitor and use it as a colander and an anti boilover tool..............a real multitasker. I think they sell them at A-NB

When I brew in the garage there is an eyebolt screwed into a joist. When I brew outside I use a six foot stepladder. It works great and you can get a basic aluminum one for $40. Even better is when you aren't brewing it stores easily in the back of a closet and is useful as a ladder for stuff around the house.

Assuming you're not brewing 10 gallon batches, I'd suggest getting a large stainless steel colander. I found one for under $25 that is large enough to sit on top of my 10 gallon kettle. It works like a champ and now hoist system needed, which should be a plus for your apartment.

That looks like my Gorilla ladder. I am going to give BIAB a try soon and plan to use my ladder the same way. What is the advantage of the board across the rungs? Couldn't you just tie the rope holding the bag to the top rungs?

It's just sitting there, a failed option. There is another 2x4 across the top rungs with a hook screwed into it.

I upgraded that last time by adding a pulley, cable and carabiners(all left over from a junk workout set). 10 gallon batches get heavy!

That looks like my Gorilla ladder. I am going to give BIAB a try soon and plan to use my ladder the same way. What is the advantage of the board across the rungs? Couldn't you just tie the rope holding the bag to the top rungs?

The ladder works well with a pulley. You can just tie a rope to the rungs, and use that for a center point, but it will want to pull to one side. The board with a hook gives you a nice center point so the pulley doesn't stray.

The ladder works well with a pulley. You can just tie a rope to the rungs, and use that for a center point, but it will want to pull to one side. The board with a hook gives you a nice center point so the pulley doesn't stray.

The top "step" also works better than a normal rung/step.

Brew on :mug:

I use a super easy method that works just about anywhere. I just wedge a broom handle through the corner rails on my deck, the back end under the one rail and the front end over the other rail. The bag then hangs from the end of it. I don't have a photo handy, but I quickly made this 3D model showing it. It takes seconds to rig up with nothing more than a stick.

broomstick.jpg

Back